I received shock treatments, and later I was assigned to help the doctor, lifting each patient onto the table.
我接受了电击疗法,后来又被分配去帮助医生,把每位病人抬到电击台上。
I watched as the current passed through and the body convulsed.
我看到电流接通后,病人的身体抽搐着。
There has been much controversy over shock treatments—whether or not they did irremediable harm.
人们对于电击疗法有很大争议——它是否会对人体造成无可弥补的伤害。
Speaking only for myself, I think they brought me out of the fog in which I had been walking.
就我而言,我觉得电疗让我摆脱了一直所处的混沌状态。
One of the symptoms of my illness had been hearing voices.
我的一个病症是不断听到各种声音,
But one day—and this was after I came out of the fog and I was quite calm and rational—
可是,有一天——那是在我走出头脑中的迷雾,恢复了冷静和理智后——
looking out of the cage, the barred windows behind which we lived, at grass and trees and clouds,
我透过我们病房中带栅栏的窗户从这牢笼中向外看,看见了草地、树木和白云,
I heard a voice say "Praise God, they resist, they resist!"
听到一个声音在说“感谢上帝吧,他们顶住了,他们顶住了!”
Who was it who was resisting?
是谁在抵抗呢?
Others like myself, I suppose.
我想,是像我一样的人们。
I believe with Shakespeare that there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in the philosophy of those who serve the world, and who administer its institutions, and grow rich.
我赞成莎士比亚说过的话,对于那些服务于这个世界、管理它的各种机构、并因此而发财的人来说,天上和人间有太多在他们的哲学中永远想象不到的东西。