The search for happiness
寻找幸福
We're talking about happiness today.
今天我们谈论的是幸福。
To some, happiness is being surrounded by family and friends.
对有些人来说,幸福就是被家人和朋友所围绕。
To others, happiness means achieving success in something, such as meeting a goal.
对另外一些人来说,幸福意味着在某事上获取成功,比如实现一个目标。
To those who have been injured or struggle with a physical disability, happiness can simply mean a day without suffering or just being alive.
对那些受了伤或是与身体残疾抗争的人而言,幸福只是没有疼痛的一天或是可以活着。
Our guest today is Dr Brain, who has written several books about happiness and the things people do to keep themselves happy.
今天我们的嘉宾是布来恩博士,他写了好几本书,都是有关幸福以及人们应该做什么来让自己开心。
Dr Brain, thank you for joining us today.
布来恩博士,谢谢你今天加入我们。
Thank you for inviting me.
谢谢你们邀请我来。
Today, I'm going to talk about how to find happiness.
今天我要谈谈如何寻找幸福。
I understand that you often use the example of the gymnast Sang Lan to show how people can find happiness even during times of a personal catastrophe.
我知道,你常拿体操运动员桑兰的例子来说明人们是如何即使在困难时期也能够找到幸福的。
Yes, Sang Lan is a very good example of someone who is happy with her life, even when people expect her to be sad.
是的,桑兰是一个非常好的例子,即使在人们觉得她会悲伤的时候,她还是开心地生活。
Before her accident, we knew her as a young girl who was happy and successful in her sport.
在她发生意外之前,我们知道她是一个开心而且在运动方面获得成功的年轻女孩。
While she was injured and in hospital, she amazed the world by the way she remained cheerful.
在她受伤住院期间,她仍能保持乐观的态度使世人为之感到惊奇。
Now, she finds happiness through reaching much smaller goals, and through the love of the people around her.
现在,她通过实现更小的目标以及通过周边人的爱而找到幸福。