1. Life in general?
语言要点:in general:一般而言, 总的来说, 从总体上看
e.g. His statement refers to people in general, not to anyone in particular.
他的发言是泛指一般情况,不是针对某一个人的。
e.g. People in general attach too much importance to words.
人们往往把话语看得太重要。
e.g. He will hunger for affectionate relations with people in general.
总的来说,他渴望和人们建立感情上的联系。
2. Being alive is rather serious,don't you think so?
文法解析:being alive在这里是动名词短语作主语。
3 It is, now you put it like that.
语言要点:动词put在这里的意思是“表达,表述”。例如:
I had already met Pete a couple of times through — how should I put it — friends in low places.
我已经见过皮特几次了,是通过——怎么说呢——一些社会下层的朋友见的。
He doesn't, to put it very bluntly, give a damn about the woman or the baby.
直白地说,他根本不在乎那个女人和那个小孩。
3. All the same, I wouldn't expect a young girl like you to feel that.
语言要点:all the same:仍然
e.g. All the same, there is some truth in what he says.
尽管如此, 他的话也还是有些道理。
e.g. He's a bit naughty, but I like him all the same.
他有点顽皮,可是我还是喜欢他。
4. And you seem to see hundreds of tomorrows all in a line,the first big and clear, the others getting smaller.
文法解析:the first big and clear和the others getting smaller都是独立主格做补足语。
语言要点:in a line:排成一行,排队 hundreds of :成万上千的
文学赏析:这句话体现了苔丝以前的经历让她心理已经憔悴,把未来看得暗淡。
5. But you can drive away all these ideas with your music, sir!
语言要点1:drive away:驱散(情感或想法等)
e.g. You'd better drive away your cares. 你最好摆脱烦恼。
e.g. The fresh morning air seemed to drive away all his sombre passions. 早晨的清新空气仿佛驱散了所有那些阴郁的念头。
语言要点2:idea在这里的意思是“opinion; belief”,指“意见或信念”。作为这个意思解释,才是可数名词。例如:
He has some very strange ideas. 他有一些奇怪的想法。