A boy of about sixteen entered, taking off his pointed hat. A silver prefect's badge was glinting on his chest. He was much taller than Harry, but he, too, had jet-black hair.
一个大约十六岁的男孩走了进来,摘下他的尖帽子。一枚级长的银质徽章在他胸口闪闪发光。他比哈利高得多,但也有一头乌黑发亮的头发。
Ah, Riddle, said the headmaster.
“啊,里德尔。”校长说。
You wanted to see me, Professor Dippet? said Riddle. He looked nervous.
“您想见我,迪佩特教授?”里德尔说,显得有些紧张。
Sit down, said Dippet. "I've just been reading the letter you sent me."
“坐下吧,”迪佩特说,“我刚才一直在读你给我的那封信。”
Oh, said Riddle. He sat down, gripping his hands together very tightly.
“哦。”里德尔说。他坐了下来,双手紧紧地攥在一起。
My dear boy, said Dippet kindly, "I cannot possibly let you stay at school over the summer. Surely you want to go home for the holidays?"
“我亲爱的孩子,”迪佩特慈祥地说,“我不能让你留在学校过暑假。你肯定愿意回家度假吧?”
No, said Riddle at once. "I'd much rather stay at Hogwarts than go back to that — to that —"
“不,”里德尔立刻说道,“我情愿留在霍格沃茨,也不愿到那个——那个——”
You live in a Muggle orphanage during the holidays, I believe? said Dippet curiously.
“你假期住在一家麻瓜的孤儿院里,是吗?”迪佩特好奇地说。
Yes, sir, said Riddle, reddening slightly.
“是的,先生。”里德尔说,微微地红了脸。
You are Muggle-born?
“你是麻瓜生的吗?”
Half-blood, sir, said Riddle. "Muggle father, witch mother."
“是混血种,先生,”里德尔说,“父亲是麻瓜,母亲是巫女。”
And are both your parents — ?
“你的父母都——”
My mother died just after I was born, sir. They told me at the orphanage she lived just long enough to name me — Tom after my father, Marvolo after my grandfather.
“我母亲刚生下我就去世了,先生。他们在孤儿院里对我说,她只来得及给我起了名字:汤姆,随我的父亲。”
Dippet clucked his tongue sympathetically. The thing is, Tom, he sighed, "special arrangements might have been made for you, but in the current circumstances..."
迪佩特同情地咂了咂舌头。“事情是这样的,汤姆,”他叹了口气说,“我们本来想对你做一些特殊的安排,可是在目前的情形下……”