You found it, and I couldn't have been more delighted.
你发现了它,我真是再高兴不过了。
Of all the people who could have picked it up, it was you, the very person I was most anxious to meet... '
没想到在这么多人里面,居然是你捡到了这本日记,你是我最迫切想见的人啊……”
'And why did you want to meet me?' said Harry.
“你为什么想见我?”哈利问。
Anger was coursing through him and it was an effort to keep his voice steady.
他气得浑身冒火,费了很大力气才使语调保持了平稳。
'Well, you see, Ginny told me all about you, Harry,' said Riddle. 'Your whole fascinating history.'
“噢,是这样的,哈利,金妮把你的情况都告诉我了,”里德尔说,“你的那些惊险迷人的往事。”
His eyes roved over the lightning scar on Harry's forehead, and his expression grew hungrier.
他的目光掠过哈利前额上那道闪电形伤疤,脸上的神情变得更饥渴了。
'I knew I must find out more about you, talk to you, meet you if I could.
“我知道,我必须更多地了解你,跟你谈谈,如果可能的话还要亲自见到你。
So I decided to show you my famous capture of that great oaf, Hagrid, to gain your trust.'
所以我决定让你亲眼目睹我抓住海格那个大蠢货的著名壮举,以获取你对我的信任。”
'Hagrid's my friend,' said Harry, his voice now shaking.
“海格是我的朋友,”哈利说,声音现在有些颤抖了,
'And you framed him, didn't you?
“是你诬陷了他,是吗?
I thought you made a mistake, but –' Riddle laughed his high laugh again.
我还以为你是弄错了,没想到——”里德尔又发出他那种尖厉刺耳的狂笑。
'It was my word against Hagrid's, Harry.
“是我揭发海格的,哈利。
Well, you can imagine how it looked to old Armando Dippet.
你可以想象一下,摆在阿曼多·迪佩特老先生面前的是个什么情况。
On the one hand, Tom Riddle, poor but brilliant, parentless but so brave, school Prefect, model student;
一面是我,汤姆·里德尔,出身贫寒但聪明过人,父母双亡但智勇双全,是学校里的级长,模范学生;
on the other hand, big, blundering Hagrid, in trouble every other week, trying to raise werewolf cubs under his bed,
另一面呢,是傻大个海格,粗手笨脚,惹是生非,每隔一星期就要闯一次祸,他在床底下养狼人崽子。
sneaking off to the Forbidden Forest to wrestle trolls.
溜到禁林去跟巨怪搏斗。
But I admit, even I was surprised how well the plan worked.
不过我得承认,就连我自己也没有想到计划执行得这样顺利。