'Haven't I already told you,' said Riddle quietly, 'that killing Mudbloods doesn't matter to me any more?
“我刚才不是对你说过了吗?”里德尔轻声慢语地说,“对我来说,杀死泥巴种已经不重要了。
For many months now, my new target has been — you.'
许多月来,我的新目标一直是——你。”
Harry stared at him.
哈利惊愕地瞪着他。
'Imagine how angry I was when the next time my diary was opened, it was Ginny who was writing to me, not you.
“当我的日记又一次被打开时,在上面写字的居然是金妮,而不是你,你想象一下我是多么恼火吧。
She saw you with the diary, you see, and panicked.
你知道吗,她看见日记到了你手里,非常紧张。
What if you found out how to work it, and I repeated all her secrets to you?
万一你发现了日记的使用方法,我把她的秘密都透露给你呢?
What if, even worse, I told you who'd been strangling roosters?
或者更糟糕的是,万一我告诉你是谁掐死了学校的公鸡呢?
So the foolish little brat waited until your dormitory was deserted and stole it back.
所以,这个蠢头蠢脑的小家伙就等到你宿舍没人的时候,进去把日记偷了出来。
But I knew what I must do.
但是我知道自己必须怎么做。
It was clear to me that you were on the trail of Slytherin's heir.
我看得出来,你在寻找斯莱特林的继承人。
From everything Ginny had told me about you,
从金妮向我透露的你的情况看,
I knew you would go to any lengths to solve the mystery – particularly if one of your best friends was attacked.
我知道你会想尽一切办法解开这个秘密——特别是你一个最好的朋友也遭到了袭击。
And Ginny had told me the whole school was buzzing because you could speak Parseltongue...
金妮曾经告诉过我,大家纷纷议论你会说蛇佬腔,整个学校都炸开了锅……
'So I made Ginny write her own farewell on the wall and come down here to wait.
“所以,我让金妮自己在墙上写了一行绝命书,来到这下面等着。
She struggled and cried and became very boring.
她拼命挣扎,大哭大闹,真令人烦躁。
But there isn't much life left in her: she put too much into the diary, into me.
但是她身体里已经没有多少生命了——她把大部分生命都注入了日记,注入到我身上,
Enough to let me leave its pages at last.
使我终于可以离开日记本了。
I have been waiting for you to appear since we arrived here.
自从我和金妮到了这里以后,我就一直在等你。
I knew you'd come.
我知道你会来的。
I have many questions for you, Harry Potter.'
我有许多问题等着问你呢,哈利·波特。”