No, Harry. I fashioned myself a new name,
不,哈利。我给自己想出了一个新的名字,
a name I knew wizards everywhere would one day fear to speak, when I had become the greatest sorcerer in the world!'
我知道有朝一日,当我成为世界上最伟大的魔法师时,各地的巫师都不敢轻易说出这个名字!”
Harry's brain seemed to have jammed.
哈利的脑子似乎僵住了。
He stared numbly at Riddle, at the orphaned boy who had grown up to murder Harry's own parents, and so many others...
他木木地望着里德尔,就是这个人,曾经是一个父母双亡的孤儿,长大成人后居然杀死了哈利的父母,还有那么多其他的人……
At last he forced himself to speak.
最后,哈利终于强迫自己开口说话。
'You're not,' he said, his quiet voice full of hatred.
“你不是。”他说,他平静的声音里充满仇恨。
'Not what?' snapped Riddle.
“不是什么?”里德尔厉声地问。
'Not the greatest sorcerer in the world,' said Harry, breathing fast.
“你不是世界上最伟大的魔法师,”哈利呼吸急促地说,
'Sorry to disappoint you, and all that, but the greatest wizard in the world is Albus Dumbledore.
“很抱歉让你失望了,不过,世界上最伟大的巫师是阿不思·邓布利多。
Everyone says so.
每个人都这么说。
Even when you were strong, you didn't dare try and take over at Hogwarts.
即使在你力量强大的时候,你也不敢试图控制霍格沃茨。
Dumbledore saw through you when you were at school and he still frightens you now, wherever you're hiding these days.'
邓布利多在你上学的时候就看透了你,他现在仍然令你闻风丧胆,不管你这些日子躲在哪里。”
The smile had gone from Riddle's face, to be replaced by a very ugly look.
里德尔脸上的笑容消失了,换上了一副非常丑陋的表情。
'Dumbledore's been driven out of this castle by the mere memory of me!' he hissed.
“我只不过利用了我的记忆,就把邓布利多赶出了这座城堡!”他咬牙切齿地说。
'He's not as gone as you might think!' Harry retorted.
“你想得倒美,他并没有走!”哈利反驳道。
He was speaking at random, wanting to scare Riddle, wishing rather than believing it to be true.
他是随口说的,只想把里德尔吓住,他希望自己所说的话是真的,但不敢相信。
Riddle opened his mouth, but froze.
里德尔张开嘴巴,刚要说话,却突然愣在了那里。