Previously on Boston legal
前情提要
Hey, listen, I think you remember reverend Diddum.
还记得Diddum神父吧
Well, it turns out the reverend is also a lawyer.
原来神父也是位律师
I've decided to let him handle my divorce.
我已决定让他来办理我的离婚
Instead of targeting the ex-husband, we go after the reverend.
避开那个前夫我们转移目标到神父身上
The reverend? Three sexual harassment complaints The man has a certain weakness.
神父身负三件性骚扰指控那个人有弱点
Did you commit this act because he was evil or because you are?
你犯下这桩罪行是因为他有害于社会还是你有害呢
Because he was. I want Alan Shore.
因为他有害我想见艾伦·肖尔
I'd like to know how a United States congressman could be held liable for an official act of congressional business for which he enjoys immunity?
我想知道为何一位美国国会议员会因为一件国会事务的公务行为被追究责任而对此他享有豁免权
You can be held liable because you've been sued under traditional state tort law for which you enjoy no immunity.
你被追究责任是因为触犯了传统的州立民事侵权法而被指控对此你不享有豁免权
I want Denny Crane.Uh, you don't want Denny Crane.Denise is one of our top...
我想见丹尼·克兰你不需要丹尼·克兰。丹尼斯是我们最优秀的
I'm entitled to the top.Is there a reason I'm not getting Denny? Denny Denny has, uh. Mad cow disease...
我要最好的有什么理由不让我请丹尼的吗?丹尼... 丹尼得疯牛病了
I just saw him on television in Kelly Nolan's murder trial.
我刚才电视上还看到他了在凯莉·诺兰的谋杀案里
He was at the defense table for effect, Raymond.
他在被告席上充门面呢,雷蒙德
He's not capable of any complex litigation.
他现在担负不了任何复杂的诉讼
I knew you were there, Denny.Did you?Raymond Jacobs
我知道你在这儿,丹尼。你在吗?雷蒙德雅·各布斯.
You handled my first divorce 15 years ago.
你15年前受理过我的首起离婚案
My wife's name was Lois? I remember. Why wouldn't you? You slept with her.
我的妻子叫洛伊斯我记得,怎么不记得呢,你和她上床了
Only after the divorce was final.
离婚完结后才干的
May I ask, Denny, how do you feel about gun control?
丹尼请问你怎么看待枪支控制的
For communists.What about banning assault weapons in the private sector?
支持共产党禁止私人持有攻击性武器你怎么看呢
As soon as you say it's okay to ban assault weapons, my friend, even in the private sector, you make it easier to take guns away from hunting,then personal protection.
一旦你限制攻击性武器我的朋友甚至是私人部门你就让限制枪支狩猎比个人保护变得更容易了
Soon the military and the police are without firearms.
很快,军队和警察就将不再佩戴弹药
By banning assault weapons in the private sector,the military and the police would lose their guns?
限制私人持有攻击性武器后军队和警察会失去他们的枪支
And their dominoes.It's a whole theory.
多米诺骨牌效应.这是一个道理
She's a Liberal. Can't even hunt.
她是个自由主义者,甚至连打猎都不会
You set?Set?You sure you don't need a second chair? This is a murder trial.
你定啦?定了?你确定不需要一个副手。这可是个谋杀案
I want Catherine to be the underdog.An army of lawyers would subvert that.
我想让凯瑟琳得到同情票,一大帮律师只会帮倒忙
You okay? Tara quit.What do you mean, she quit? She's gone.
你还好吧?塔拉辞职了。你说什么,她辞职了。她走了
She quit the firm? She quit me, actually.
她离开公司了,她离开我了,事实上是
But she's left the firm as well.
但是她也离开公司了
Alan, do you have the necessary focus to try this case? I do.
艾伦你能集中精力办理这个案件吗?我能!
Coroner's report showed he'd been struck twice behind the head,the second blow being fatal.
Coroner的报告显示他曾两次被击中头部第二击是致命的
And was there any sign of a struggle,detective?No.
有挣扎的痕迹吗,侦探先生?没有
Any evidence to suggest that the victim had made any threatening movement toward the defendant?
有证据显示被害者曾对被告者有威胁性举动吗
No.And in the statement made to you by the defendant,did she say the victim was threatening her?
没有,在被告对您做的陈词中她有说过受害者在威胁她吗?
She did not say that she was in any imminent danger at the time she hit him.
她没有说当她攻击他时曾面临任何迫在眉睫的危险
Thank you, sir. Your witness. I have nothing.
谢谢你,先生。轮到你了。我没话说
It appears your exhaustive testimony covered everything. You left nothing out.
看起来你详尽的证词已经包含一切了,你没任何遗漏
Is that correct, detective? Pretty much.
这是正确的吗,侦探先生。非常正确
Thank you, detective, for your fine commitment to detail.
谢谢你,侦探先生。谢谢你对细节的美好承诺
Okay. The witness may step down.Actually, one thing you pretty much left out.
好的,证人可以下台了事实上,有一件事情遗漏了
No harm. We can cover it now.
没关系,我们可以现在弥补
Mr. Ferrion had previously killed two people.
费林先生曾经杀害过两个人
He whacked both his mother and a neighbor? Allegedly. Allegedly.
他杀了他妈妈和一个邻居。涉嫌谋杀,涉嫌谋杀
Isn't it pretty much the opinion of the Boston police department that he committed these murders?
他犯下了那些谋杀案那不正是波士顿警察局的观点吗
Yes.Thank you.I'm sure you pretty much meant to include that in your testimony but...forgot.
是的。谢谢您。我确信你很想将这些纳入你的证词,但是忘了吧
Mrs. Piper came to you a week before Mr. Ferrion was killed, didn't she? She did.
派珀太太在费林先生被杀一周前曾找过你,不是吗?她的确来过
She told you she feared Mr. Ferrion would kill again.Yes.
她告诉你她害怕费林先生会再次杀人。是的
Relayed to you Bernard's comments about how the next time,he'd be sure to leave little clues like the B.T.K. killer.
向您报告了伯纳德关于下次杀人的评论他肯定会留下一些小线索就像B.T.K杀手一样
She tell you that, detective? Yes
她告诉了你这些,侦探先生?是的
And after she told you all this,you did what, detective?
在她告诉你这些后你做了什么呢,侦探先生?
I told her there wasn't enough to make an arrest.
我告诉她这不足以逮捕他
You sent her away.Tell me, detective,have you considered if you'd heeded Catherine Piper's warnings, Bernard Ferrion might still be alive?
你把她送走了。告诉我,侦探先生你想过如果你留意了凯瑟琳·派珀的警告伯纳德·费林可能还会活在世上吗
Objection!Withdrawn. Moving forward a bit, Bernard Ferrion's demise.
抗议,撤回再往前走,伯纳德·费林的死亡
So you found him dead,conducted Sherlock Holmesian investigation, which led, at last, to Catherine Piper's doorstep?
你发现他死后开始了,夏洛克·福尔摩斯式的调查最终追查到了凯瑟琳·派珀的门口
No.She came to us. Oh, she came to you! Yes.
没有。她来找我们的,她来找了你们。是的
Well, you certainly left that out,didn't you?
你确是遗漏了这个,不是吗?
She didn't come forth for a full week.
她一个星期后才过来
Maybe Catherine hesitated because she feared being arrested.
也许凯瑟琳犹豫了因为她害怕会被逮捕
Yet her conscience and sense of morality eventually overcame her fear, which, of course, the jury would know
但是她的良知和道德感最终战胜了她的恐惧当然,陪审团会明白这种恐惧的
if you'd lived up to your oath to tell the whole truth.
只要你能履行你讲实话的誓言
Objection! Mr. Shore! What? What did I say?
抗议,肖尔先生!什么,我说了什么
I paid $2,000 to his campaign personally,and I contributed another $2 million to the Democratic national party on the assumption
我个人支付了2000美元支持他的竞选我还捐赠了200万美元给民主党以为
that this congressman, if reelected, would support gun control.
那个国会议员如果再次当选,会支持枪支控制
Well, certainly, Mr. Naughton, you realize that you cannot buy votes on Capital Hill.
当然,诺顿先生,你认识到你不能够在国会山买选票
Oh, please.There was never any quid pro quo on any specific vote.
拜托。任何一张选票里从来就没有公平交易
But, sir, in your complaint,you cite his failure to support the ban on assault weapons.
但是,先生,在你的诉讼里你把他的失败归咎于支持对攻击性武器下禁令
The fraud was perpetrated on me during his reelection campaign.
在他的竞选连任时他给我下了个套
The two of us got together for dinner.
我俩聚在一起吃饭
We shook hands. He looked me in the eye,and he told me that he would champion, not support, but champion the renewal of the ban against assault weapons.
我们握手,他看着我的眼睛说他会拥护不仅是支持,但是拥护关于攻击性武器禁令的续订
Then he goes off to Washington, and the ban just lapses.
然后他去了华盛顿禁令刚好过期了
Doesn't even get brought up for a vote.
甚至都没被提议投票
And, sir, the fact that this ban was not renewed,how has it hurt you personally?
先生,禁令没能续订这怎么伤害您个人啦
On January 2nd,my nephew was buying milk in a convenience store.
在1月2日我的侄子在一家便利店买牛奶
Two men came in to rob the store bearing AK-47s. Gunfire ensued.
两个带着AK-47s的男人过来抢劫铺子。发生了枪击
My nephew was killed.
我的侄子被杀害了
I am very sorry for your loss, sir.
我很为您的损失感到难过,先生
Are you suggesting that because you contributed money to this congressman that you bought his vote?
你在暗示如果你捐钱给了这个国会议员就可以买他的选票吗?
There was no vote.
没有选票
Instead, congress just let the ban lapse without so much as a discussion.
相反,议员让禁令没经什么讨论就自动过期了
Didn't it lapse in part because the legislators in favor of the ban realized the votes just weren't there?
让它自动过期不是因为支持这一禁令的立法者认识到没什么人支持吗
When you secure a contribution based on a policy you have no intention of honoring,that's flat-out fraud.
当你做出一个募捐是因为一项你不打算执行的政策那就是赤裸裸的欺骗
My point is, congressman Jacobs couldn't have gotten the ban renewed.
我的论点是,雅各布斯议员不能让禁令重续
Tom Delay had dismissed it as simply "a piece of feel-good legislation that had no chance of passing".
汤姆·迪莱废除了它只是因为它是一个感觉良好但是没有机会通过的法令
I didn't get a commitment from Tom Delay. I did from him.
我没有取得汤姆·迪莱的承诺我取得了他的
Oh, my God! Not quite.What are you doing here?
我的上帝有那么吃惊吗?你在这做什么?
Your behavior saddened me, Sara.
你的举止让我伤心,萨拉
It left me bereft. Bereft?
这让我丧失了资格,丧失资格
Let's not get carried away, reverend. You desecrated my collar. How?
别跑题,神父。你亵渎了我的领口,怎么啦?
You smelled it in a sexual manner.
你用一种性感的方式闻了它
You rubbed it lasciviously against your face.
你淫亵地用你的脸揉擦了它
I'm reporting you.To whom? Your superiors, perhaps the bar.
我会举报你的向谁举报,你的上司,或者律师席
And what happens to you if your behavior becomes public?
如果你的行为被公开你会发生什么事呢
I've considered that. I must atone as well.
我考虑过了,我必须弥补
We must both go public with our sins and atone.Reverend? I'm sorry.
我们必须和我们的罪恶一起公之于众,并加以弥补.神父。我很抱歉
I was only trying to help a client I felt was being taken advantage of.
我只是在帮助一个客户我觉得被利用了
I'm really sorry. I'd really appreciate you not...telling.
我真的很抱歉如果你不举报的话我真的会很感谢
On one condition.Go into the women's room,remove your panties and give them to me.I beg your pardon?
有个条件到洗手间去脱掉你的内裤把它给我,您说什么
You sniffed my personals. I should like a whiff of yours.
你闻了我的我也想要点你的
First of all,I smelled your collar, not your shorts.
首先我闻了你的领口而不是内裤
Give me your underwear, or I'm going to atone.
给我你的内裤要不我就捅开
I first met him as a recovering murderer.
我起先遇见他时,他是一个正在康复的谋杀犯
He'd killed his mother and neighbor.
他杀了他的妈妈和邻居
Had he admitted these crimes to you? Oh, yes. Many times.
他向你承认了这些罪行吗?是的,说了很多次
Catherine, may I ask,why would you seek to befriend this man?
凯瑟琳请问你为何会和这种人交朋友呢
Well, I felt at his core, he wasn't evil.
我以为他本质上不坏
I also thought I could help him by introducing him to Jesus Christ,our savior.Was he open to that? Not terribly.
我同样以为,将他向上帝,我们的救星指引能够帮助他。他皈依了吗,不完全
He thought it would make him look like a bad Jew.So what happened?
他觉得那会让他看起来像个坏犹太人,发生什么了
Well, we were in the kitchen watching the telecast about the Kelly Nolan trial.
我们在厨房里看电视上凯利·诺兰的审判
He was talking about leaving hints the next time... saying how he enjoyed the taste of killing.
他说下次会留下线索说他享受谋杀的感觉
My mind started swirling.
我脑子开始眩晕了
I was thinking,"I'd gone to the police.
我在想我已经报警了
They said they couldn't help. "
他们说他们帮不了
There was no place for me to turn.
我没有地方可以投诉
If I ran away, that was a betrayal he said he couldn't tolerate.
如果我跑了他会说这是他不能忍受的背叛
I looked down at my hands,saw I was holding the skillet,the weapon he'd used to commit murder.
我低头看了看我的手我握着那个长柄锅这是他曾用来犯罪的武器
And I suddenly thought this was my only way out.So I just swung.
我突然觉得这是我唯一的出路所以我挥舞了它
Twice.And he dropped.Catherine, you took a human life.
两次。他倒下了。凯瑟琳你夺去了一个人的生命
Killing his mother was strike one.
杀死他的妈妈是挥击一
Killing his neighbor was strike two.
杀死他的邻居是挥击二
And the way he talked,Bernie had a third strike coming.
按照他说的说法伯尼还要挥击第三次
I heard about Tara.I feel your hurt.
我听说塔拉的事了。你觉得你挺难过的
What's most upsetting, Denny, is I don't hurt.
最让人沮丧的是,丹尼,不难过
So I don't have to hug you and tell you I'm there for you and all that crap?
所以我不需要拥抱你告诉你我在这儿之类的废话
You can skip it. How's your trial going?
你可以省略它你的案件进展如何
I'm there as a prop.Shirley not giving you enough to do?
我在那做道具雪莉没让你做什么
Oh, Alan, it's a dream case.
艾伦这可是梦想中的案件
To be able to actually defend a congressman who opposes the ban on assault weapons?
为一个反对禁令攻击性武器的国会议员辩护
It's what any lawyer lives for.
这是任何律师都想要的
I'm gonna show you something.
我会给你点好瞧的
Jeez Denny,Ooh. This one, my father gave me.
丹尼.这个,我父亲给我的
Lovely. Could you kindly point it in any direction other than my head?
很不错,能拜托将它指向不是我脑袋的其他地方吗?
It's not loaded.Oh! I guess it is.
没上子弹的原来上子弹了
For God's sake Denny ,Oh, lighten up, will you?What in God's name?
丹尼!看在上帝的份上轻松些了,不是吗看在上帝的份上
Shirley And it is in god's name,The right to bear arms, second commandment.
雪莉.是看在上帝的份上携带武器的权利,第二戒律
That would be the second amendment. That's same difference.I should be first-chairing this case.
那会成为第二修正案,一样。我应该主管这个案子
If anybody should be the poster boy for guns in this country...
谁要是能成为这个国家的枪支海报男孩
It should be you.Denny, congressman Jacobs is Denny for the assault weapon ban.
那也是你雅各布斯议员是支持攻击性武器禁令的
Did you know that? What do you mean, he's for the, the ban?
你知道吗?你说什么,他支持那个禁令
He let it lapse because sometimes in politics, there are politics.
他让它失效了是因为有的时候,政治就是政治
But in principle, he's for the ban.
但是原则上,他是支持禁令的
But if he supports a law and then agrees to let it lapse,then that would make him...
但如果他支持一条法律怎么会同意让它失效呢,那就会成全他为
A Democrat. You're giving representation to a Democrat.
一个民主党人你将为一个民主党人作陈述
With all the rain, the Charles has spilled into the sewer systems.
随着雨水查尔斯摔进了下水道
It isn't exactly Nimmo bay.
这可不是Nimmo海滩
Word is they're catching some on commonwealth.
传言他们真的在州里抓到了一些
I think I'm gonna retire, Alan.What's going on?
我想我要退休拉,艾伦。出什么事了?
I don't know. I just...I think it's a sign when the practice of law is less rewarding than, uh...
我不知道,我只是我想这是个信号当律师赚钱还不如
Fishing in the sewer? I feel devalued.
在阴沟里钓鱼我感觉贬值了
I always wanted to go out with my pride,failing that, at least my old time slot.
我总是想高昂着头出去害怕显老
I wish...I was never great.Because? Because...I remember.
我希望我从来没伟大过,因为?因为?我记得
When God strips you of your talent,he should at least have the decency to strip away the memory of having had it.
当上帝剥夺了你的才华他至少应该帮个忙去掉你曾经有过的记忆
What do you mean, he wants your underwear? I mean he wants my underwear!
你什么意思,他想要你的内裤。我是说他想要我的内裤
Is he still here? No.He asked me to think on it, pray on it,and he'll be back in the morning.Okay.
他还在吗,没有。他要我考虑一下,祈祷他早上会回来,好的
Relax. Okay. You've got to give him your underwear.
放松。好的。你得给他你的内裤
What? Otherwise we'll be fired.
什么,要不我们就会被开除的
I'm not gonna give him my underwear. Are you crazy?
我不会给他我的内裤的,你疯了吗?
The guy is obviously sick.Which is why we need to be afraid here.
这个家伙显然变态,这就是我们在这害怕的原因
If we can't count on him to be rational enough to save his own career?
如果我们不能指望他足够理智来拯救他自己的事业
Just give him your underwear.That's not even an option, Garrett.
那就给他你的内裤,没得选,加勒特
First, because I would never do it, Sara, what if he reports us?
因为首先,我不会做这种事Sara如果他告发我们呢?
And second, I'm not wearing any.We'll be fired and...You're not wearing any?
其次,我根本没穿我们会被开除的你没有穿
Garrett! This is your doing!I'm making it your problem.
加勒特这是你干的,自己解决吧
You go deal with the sicko.The skillet was in your hand. Could you hold it, please? Objection.
你去摆平那个变态长柄锅在你手里你能握住它吗?反对
I would like her to demonstrate how she struck Mr. Ferrion.
我想让她示范她是如何攻击费林先生的
Your honor, this is meant to inflame the jury.
法官大人,这会煽动陪审团
There is simply no reason... She already described it.
毫无道理,她已经描述过了
The prejudicial value of a demonstration,In a case like this... the prosecution's petrified.that my client comes off as sympathetic.
示范的偏见性评价在一个像这样的案件里,控方被石化了,我的委托人是有同情心的
She wants her to re-enact the crime to negate that sympathy.
她想让她再演一次犯罪的过程来打消别人的同情心
There's no probative value.It's a stunt, and a cheap one.
没说服力,廉价的噱头
I'm going to allow it. What? The jury can see how it happened.
我允许,什么?陪审团可以看到是怎么发生的
She testified as to how it happened.
她将证明是如何发生的
I've made my ruling. Step back.Step back, counsel.
我已决定,退下。退下,辩护律师
Would you show us your movements, Mrs.Piper?
能给我们展示一下你的动作吗,Piper太太
I...I, I was at the sink facing this way. And he was going on about the taste of killing.
我,我当时在洗碗池,面朝这边他在说一些关于谋杀的事
That's when my mind started to swirl at the thought,"Oh, my God, he'll kill again. He might kill me!"
想到这个,我的脑袋开始眩晕了。我的上帝,他又要杀人了,他可能会杀了我
I looked at the skillet,and suddenly, this could be my way out.And I wheeled...
我看看长柄锅突然想到,这是我唯一的出路。我舞动了
A plea? Did you have to hit it so hard?I was under oath.
借口,你干嘛挥舞得那么用力啊,我发誓了
I don't like the sound of that.Catherine, I'm not sure I can win this.
我不喜欢这种语调,凯瑟琳我不确定我能赢
You promised. I promised I'd try.Well, that's all I'm asking for.I mean, just keep trying.Please.
你答应了,我答应了我会努力。这就是我请求的。我是说,继续努力。拜托了
She really left? I'm sorry?
她真的离开了?什么?
Tara. She's gone?Evidently. I'm sorry.Not to worry.
塔拉她真走了吗?确实。我很抱歉。别担心
Look, if I had the power to move the bill for a vote,I would have.
看,如果我有能力提议对这个草案进行表决,我会的
In fairness, did you try to move the bill for a vote?
公平地说,你曾经努力提议对草案进行表决吗?
No. Okay. Why not? Quite honestly, because I was up for reelection.
没有,为何不呢?坦白说,因为我在寻求连任
If I'd been active about renewing the ban on assault weapons,the N.R.A. would have opposed me, run smear campaigns against me,and I'd be sitting here today as an ex-congressman.
如果我很活跃的寻求攻击性武器禁令的延续,N.R.A会反对我的会发动诽谤活动反对我,我就会以一个前国会议员的身份坐在这儿
You caved.I cannot serve my constituents if I'm not in office.
你投降了,如果我不在位的话我无权行使选举权
So like any elected official, I have to pick my battles.
就像任何一位被选举的公务员,我得选择我的战役
And political survival has to be a consideration.
政治上的存活也需要被纳入考虑
You told my client you'd support the ban.
你告诉我的委托人你支持那个禁令
At the time, I fully planned to.
现在,我正在付以全力
Then in September, three lobbyists from the N.R.A. walked in my office,informed me they'd contribute
九月里三位来自N.R.A的说客来到了我的办公室告诉我他们将
heavily to my opponent's campaign,informed me they'd finance negative ADs against me.
非常支持我对手的竞选活动,告诉我他们将出钱拍我的负面广告
My advisors told me they'd be successful.
我的顾问们说他们会得逞的
So I would have lost my seat supporting a bill that had no chance of passing.
那样我就会丢掉我的席位,支持那个议案也没机会成功
Does that seem practical to you?
这对你实用吗?
Sticking to one's principles always struck me as being practical.
坚持一个人的原则在我看来一直都是实用的
Look, the ban on assault weapons...The Democrats are for it.
对于攻击性武器的禁令,民主党人支持它
The Republicans are for it.The police are for it. 80% of the public is for it.
共和党人支持它,警察支持它,80%的公众支持它
And we don't have it.That should tell you how powerful the gun lobby is.
我们不得势,这可以说明枪支说客有多强大
So you ran scared.
所以你胆怯地逃跑了
That was horrible testimony!
这是可怕的证词
All right, Denny. What was the strategy?
好啦,丹尼那是什么策略?
Can somebody please explain it to me?
能有人给我解释下吗
The strategy was there was nothing our client could really do to renew the ban.
策略是我的委托人不能做任何事来延续这一禁令
He's therefore not the proximate cause of the plaintiff's injury.
所以他与原告的损失没有直接关系
But that's defensive. Why be defensive when justice is on our side?
但是那是自卫陈词当正义在我们这边时为何要自卫呢
Justice being... Guns!There are more guns in American households than pets, for God sakes,more guns than cell phones. Guns are hot!
正义在于枪支里在美国家庭里拥有枪支的多过养宠物的甚至比移动电话还多,枪支很流行
It's not that simple, Denny.
没这么简单,丹尼
What's simple is this you don't get on the stand and say,
就这么简单你不能站在台上说
"I'm sorry for not doing the right thing".
我很抱歉没有尽应尽的义务
You testify, "I did the right thing".That's how you win lawsuits.
你应该说,我做得对。这才是赢者之道
You're right even when you're wrong!
即使错了都要说得有理
All right. The panties are in the envelope.
好了,内裤在信封里
But before I give them to you,we're gonna set a few conditions of our own.
但是在我给你之前有几个条件
Let me see.The panties. Let me see that they're really in there.
让我看看。让我看看内裤。看它是不是真在那儿
Let me have a sample sniff to assure the authenticity.
让我闻闻是不是真货
I'm not gonna let you smell them now.Those are new. She never wore them.
我不能让你现在闻它。这是新的,她从未穿过
Your law career is over, Mr. Wells.All right, look. Let's try another approach.
你的律师生涯结束了,Wells先生。好的,让我们再另想他法
I will beat you up.Think I'm kidding? I will smack you around, reverend.
我会打败你的。觉得我在开玩笑吗?我会赶着你打的,神父
And what makes you think I wouldn't enjoy that? I'll be back this afternoon.
什么让你觉得我不会享受这一切呢?下午我再来
And if my terms are not met,I will go to your superiors.
如果我的条件没被满足,我会去见你们的上司
Awfully tiny cigar. It's the kind of cigar that goes along with our wimpy defense today.
漂亮的小雪茄,这种雪茄将伴随我,今天窝囊的辩护
Denise and I were discussing it.We think you're right.
丹尼斯和我讨论过了,我们觉得你是对的
We think maybe...maybe our approach should be...
我们觉得也许也许我们应该这样辩护
guns are good. But of course they are.
枪支有益当然它们就是
Denny The thing is, I don't really believe it, Nor does Denise.
丹尼问题在于,我并不真的这样认为。丹尼斯也是
And juries can always tell when lawyers are being disingenuous.
当律师们无诚意时陪审团总是能看出来的
We need you to close.Me?
我们需要你来做结案陈词我吗?
Thing is...Shirley, I, I don't really do that.I'm more about...effect.
问题是雪莉我,我真的做不来。我更加引人注目
This is a big client who is responsible for awarding this firm many government contracts.
这是一个可能会给公司带来许多政府合约的大客户
We need you to pull this out.
我们需要你搞定它
The, the, the thing about closing,Shirley, is...too many words. I, I, I, I can't remember them.
结案陈词,雪莉太多语句了,我,我,记不住
Mad cow. Denny You don't have to remember words,This is about assault weapons.
疯牛病。丹尼你不需要记住那么多语句,这有关于攻击性武器的
Just speak from your heart. This is about... what's dear.
发自心声就行。这有关。对你很重要的东西
Now what are you doing? Shirley asked me to close.
你在做什么?雪莉让我做结案陈词
I need more time to prepare. I really, I can't just...
我需要时间来准备我真的,我不能
So I'm copying yours.What do you mean, you're copying mine?
所以我在复制你的你这是什么意思,复制我的
Your closing. It's good stuff.Do you write it?
你的结案陈词,那是好东西,你写下了吗
You can't just copy my closing.Why not?
你不能复制我的结案陈词,为什么不行呢?
We're on the same team. Don't be such a girl.
我们在同一小组,别小气得像个女孩了
Denny, we have completely different cases.
丹尼我们接的是完全不同的案子
So what? It's not like the jury really listens.
那有什么关系,很有可能陪审团都不会怎么听的
Are you out of your mind? What's the matter?I'm afraid.Afraid of what?
你疯了吗?有什么关系?我很害怕。害怕什么?
Hey! You're Denny Crane. No, I'm not.That's somebody I used to be.
你是丹尼·克兰不,我不是。我曾经是。
Can you believe the irony?
你能相信这其中的讽刺吗
All I ever really wanted to do was to rise up one day and deliver the big summation on behalf of...A gun.
我现在只想有一天能站起来做一份大的总结,代表一支枪
And now the day finally comes...and I'm afraid.
这一天终于来到了我却害怕了
The day will be here tomorrow, my friend.And you won't be afraid. You know why?
那是明天,我的朋友。你不会害怕的,你知道为什么吗
You're still Denny Crane.This I know.
你还是丹尼·克兰。我知道。
I'm not suggesting you give him your underwear.Yes, you are, Garrett. I'm not.
我没暗示你给他你的内裤。你就是这意思,加勒特我不是
I'm saying put these on, and, uh...You're as sick as he is.
我在说穿上它你和他一样变态
Sara Sara, if this guy reveals..Where is he?
如果这家伙揭发他在哪里
Waiting in the lobby.Reverend.Sara
在大厅等着呢。神父。萨拉.
You're not getting any of my apparel,reverend.
你不会得到我的任何衣服的,神父
If you want to tell my superiors about our little sting, then do it,knowing the consequences will be far worse for you than for me.
如果你想告诉我的上司关于我们的小摩擦,那就去吧到时候就知道你的后果会远比我严重
One sniff, right here. I'll walk away.
让我闻一下,就在这。我就走
One more slap, we can call the whole matter settled.Sweet.
再打一耳光,我们就可了结此事了。真不错
There was no self-defense or defense of others here.
这里没有正当防卫或别种性质的防卫
I'm not going to waste time telling you something you already know.
我不会浪费时间,告诉你们那些已知的事情
The defendant simply made a decision, a reflective one,that Bernard Ferrion should
被告只是觉得自我觉得伯纳德·费林不应该
no longer be among the living.
再存活
Two whacks to the back of the head.
两记敲在脑袋上的重击
Whether Catherine Piper was playing at executioner or God,she committed murder.
不管?凯瑟琳·派珀是在做刽子手还是伸张正义,她都杀了人
Law and order isn't simply something found on television four nights a week.
法律并不只是你一周四天在电视上看到的东西
Our integrity as a people is inextricably bound up with the idea that we are a nation of laws.
我们作为人的正直品质我们是一个有法之邦这个理念紧密相连
You, as jurors, took an oath to uphold the law.
你们,陪审员,发誓要维护法律
In a time when we, as Americans,are increasingly labeled as a might-makes-right society,
在这样的一个时代我们美国人日益被标注为权利之上的社会
I sincerely hope,for our legacy as a moral society,you choose to honor that oath.
我真诚的希望我们道德社会的遗产你们选择遵循那一誓言
I certainly hope you're good.
我当然希望你干得好一点
In 2003, we had 16,500 murders in this country.
在2003年,这个国家发生了16500起谋杀案
6,200 went unsolved.
6200件没有侦破
On another 4,000, we made arrests.
另外的4000件我们逮捕了一些人
The defendants eventually went free.
被告最终都无罪释放
We don't catch killers in this country.
这个国家抓不到杀手
Since 1960, 200,000 murders have gone unsolved.
自从1960年以来,2000000件谋杀案没被侦破
Forget about the ones where we just failed to convict.
忘了那些我们没能定罪的案件
For 200,000, we were baffled.
有200000起我们束手无策
Ask me, we could use a few more vigilantes.
我们可以启用更多些义务警员
Now you swing that skillet at your own risk, I grant you.
当你挥动那个长柄锅时得由自己负责,我向你保证
Kill an innocent person,off to prison you should go.
杀死一个无辜的人你应该进监狱
But Catherine Piper didn't do that.
但是凯瑟琳·派珀不是
Catherine Piper tried law and order.
凯瑟琳·派珀试图维护法律和秩序
She was scared for her life.
她吓得要命
She did fear for the safety of others.
她为其他人的生命安全不安
And in the heat of that fear,she swung that skillet,accomplishing in the process something the police couldn't,she got the bad guy.
在这种恐惧下她挥动了那个长柄锅完成了警察没能做到的一些职责,她了结了那个坏蛋
Now I certainly don't want a society where people start arbitrarily taking the law into their own hands.
我当然不希望人们肆意玩弄法律
I know you don't.
我知道你也不希望
But society certainly isn't safeguarded,nor is it remotely benefited, by putting Catherine Piper in prison.
但是送凯瑟琳·派珀入狱这个社会显然不会更安全,甚至一点好处都得不到
Unlike the district attorney,I don't think we're a country inextricably bound up with law and order or some national integrity.
不像公诉人我并不觉得我们这样的一个国家,不可避免的把法律与纪律和民族正直性连在一块
I like to think we're a people...mostly about humanity.
我更愿意觉得我们是一个民族更多的关心人性
And humanity isn't about the right to trumpet moral superiority.
而人性并不具有吹嘘道德优越的权利
Humanity...is about compassion,even forgiveness.
人性是热情甚至是宽恕
Catherine Piper Catherine Piper, in all her fear,reacted in a very human way.
尽管很害怕但还是做出了非常人性的举动
She's here now asking you to do the same.
她现在此恳求你们也做出同样的举动
I thought you'd be better.
我觉得你更棒
Where the hell is he? I don't know.
他到底在哪里,我不知道
The last time we spoke, he seemed...
我们最后谈话的时候,他看起来
He's supposed to be here closing.
他应该来做结案陈词
I'll call him on his cell phone, but, Shirley...
我会打他手机,但是,雪莉
The other side has started.
对方的结案陈词已经开始了
You may have to do this yourself.
你大概得自己来做了
Denny's feet seemed a little frozen.
丹尼有点打退堂鼓了
Oh, my God.Denny's missing. I heard.
我的上帝。丹尼失踪了,我听见了
How long does a jury deliberate?
陪审团要商议多久
There's no rule. But it could be today.
没一定规则。但是今天会出结果的
The judge said he'll keep them till 10 o'clock tonight.
法官说他将等到今晚10点
Alan, whatever happens, thank you.
不过结果如何,谢谢你
I mean that.Baretta said that to his attorney.Brought him luck.
说真心话。巴雷塔这样对他的律师说,带给了他好运
Like congressman Jacobs says,everybody wants the ban on assault weapons,the Democrats, the Republicans, the police, 78% of the public.
像雅各布斯议员说过的每个人都想对攻击性武器设禁令民主党人,共和党人警察,78%的民众
And yet, we don't have it.Why?
但是,我们还没有这样做为何呢
The senate majority leader has said,and I quote,
参议院多数曾说过,我在此引用
"The will of the American people is consistent with letting it expire".
美国人意向一致在于让它过期
Is that consistent with your will? With yours?
这和你的意愿一致吗?和你的吗?
What the hell is going on here?
到底怎么回事
The N.R.A. has them all terrified.
N.R.A把他们吓住了
How powerful is this lobby?
说客有多强大
Senator Kerry, in his bid to get elected president,was advised that he had to go out and shoot an animal and to be photographed doing so.
凯莉参议员在他竞选总统时被建议出去打一只野兽并拍下照片
He's a windsurfer, for God's sake!
他是一个帆板运动员,看在上帝的份上
Well, enough is enough.It is time to start holding congress accountable.
够了.让国会负责的时候到了
3000 deaths by firearms every year in this country.
每年这个国家有三千人因枪支致死
And we can't ban assault weapons?
我们还不禁止攻击性武器的使用
People need them for personal protection? To hunt?
人们需要它们来自我保护吗?去狩猎
And now we actually have legislation pending in Washington
现在我们事实上在华盛顿有未决的法案
that will literally shield the gun manufacturers from being sued,even for negligence.
最终会庇护枪支生产商免予诉讼就算有过失也是
We can sue doctors, big tobacco,asbestos,but the gun industry gets its own special legislation granting them immunity.
我们能够诉讼医生,大型烟草商,石棉商但是枪支工业却有着特别的法案来保护他们免责
What the hell is going on?
这到底是怎么回事
Where are our elected officials?
我们选举的公务员在哪里
This one vowed to fight the gun industry,took campaign contributions on the promise that he would.
那个宣誓会奋战枪支工业的人呢?那个承诺会发起相关活动的人呢?
And what did Alex Naughton get in return?
亚历克斯·诺顿得到了什么回报?
His 16-year-old nephew,while buying a quart of milk,was mowed down by two AK-47s.
他16岁的侄子在买一夸特牛奶时被两支AK-47s夺去了生命
You want to take it?
你想做陈词吗
It's all yours.Denny Crane
这是你的份丹尼·克兰.
Mr. Crane, we do not allow firearms in the courtroom!
克兰先生,我们不允许带枪火进法庭
Oh, it's just a prop, judge. It's not... loaded.Apologies.
这只是个道具,法官居然上弹药了.抱歉
It was the shot heard around the world. Remember?
这是全球都听见过的枪声,记得吗?
Not the punch. Not the stabbing.
不是拳击伤人,不是持刀伤人
It was the shot that rallied the minutemen to defeat the redcoats at Lexington.
这是重振旗鼓的枪声在列克星敦击败英国军人的枪声
This nation began with a gun,and we'll go down with a gun, or maybe...
这个国家由一支枪开始我们将固守弹药,或者
if we have them,won't go down at all.
如果我们拥有它们我们就不会衰败
Let me tell you about assault weapons.
我来说说一些攻击性武器的事
The FBI now reports that the terrorists are coming to America to get them because it's easier to procure them here.
FBI现在报道恐怖分子到美国买枪因为在这里更容易到手
Now I ask you,how can we supply terrorists with AK-47s
现在我问你如果我们给恐怖分子装备了,AK-47s
and not give them to our own people?
却不给我们自己的同胞拥有它们的权利
That may sound crazy.
是很疯狂的事情
But part of being an American in the wild west was we came armed.
某种意义上说我们是荷枪实弹的来到美国西部开荒的
It's in the bill of sale, for God sakes.
这融入了我们的销售法案,看在上帝的份上
Bill of rights.
权利和自由法案中
In our national anthem, we've got bombs bursting in air, for God sakes.
在我们的国歌里,我们头顶炸弹,看在上帝的份上
We drive around with our shotguns on the outside of the pickups so the neighbors will see them. And...
我们带着散弹猎枪在外面出游那样邻居们就会看到它们
nobody talks about this out loud, of course,but things might have turned out
没人会说出来但是事情可能会有所不同
differently for the nephew of the plaintiff if he had had his own automatic weapon.
原告的侄子,如果他有自己的自动武器的话
The first sound of democracy came from a gun like this one.
民主政治的第一声发自一支这样的枪
And that's why the ban on assault weapons has been allowed to lapse.
这就是为何对于攻击性武器的禁令会被允许失效
It's all about our basic civil rights.
这事关我们基本的民权
It's about democracy.
这事关民主
It's about freedom! Denny Crane
这事关自由!丹尼·克兰.
Mr. Foreman, has the jury reached a verdict?
陪审团,你们下判决了吗?
We have, your honor. How say you?
我们做出判决了,法官先生,-你们怎么说
In the matter of the commonwealth of Massachusetts vs Catherine Piper on the charge of murder in the first degree,we, the jury, find the defendant...
马萨诸塞州州对于凯瑟琳·派珀一级谋杀案的指控我们,陪审团,宣告被告
Is it so much to remember?Not guilty.
有这么多要记的吗?无罪
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury,Thank you for your service. Oh, thank God.
陪审团的女士们,先生们。谢谢你们的到场,感谢上帝
Amen. You're dismissed.
阿门,你被释放了
I think, I think I might actually cry.
我觉得,我觉得我要哭了
I know I would if it had been guilty.
如果被判有罪我知道我会的
Mrs. Piper, you are free to go.
派珀太太,你可以走了
Court is adjourned. Congratulations,Catherine.
休庭,祝贺你,凯瑟琳
Thank you.You know...in all the time I've known you, Alan,I don't think I've ever hugged you.
谢谢你。你知道我认识你这么久了,艾伦我不记得我拥抱过你
We need to fix that.
我们需要搞定它
Was it thrilling? It actually was.
它激奋吗,的确。
With all the battles we fight,we don't often get to wage them on behalf of people
我们奋战过的那些战役,我们通常都不代表人民
we genuinely care about.And you, to be able to walk into court dressed as the mascot for the New england Patriots.
我们并不在乎他们,而你,穿成新英格兰爱国者走进了法庭
Super bowl champion Patriots.Yes.
特级战士爱国者。是的
Alan, I was good in there.
艾伦我在那状态很好
I can't be sure, but in the middle,I think I actually felt smoke coming out of my ass.
我不能确定,但是到了中间事实上,我有感觉烟从我屁股里冒出来
I have no doubt. Boys? Any word?
毫无疑问,男孩们。什么事?
The jury's still out, which is a miracle.
陪审团还没决定,这真是个奇迹
Denny, your... your closing was nothing short of unbelievable.Thank you.
艾伦你的你的结案陈词真让人叫绝。谢谢
We might actually have a chance of winning this, although, well,you heard me say "miracle. "
我们可能有机会赢,但是你听见我说奇迹了
I, I just wanted to say that...you intermittently made sense in there and...
我,我只是想说在那里你间歇还言之成理,还有
You'll have sex with me.Come on.
你会和我上床。得了吧
At least pet the musket.
至少奖励下步枪吧
I have a dinner,but because you've been so good.Denny Crane
我还要赴宴但既然你表现得那么好。丹尼·克兰.
A quickie.Nothing for my musket? Another time.
这么快,我的步枪没奖励吗?下次吧
Alan, you were right.I still am Denny Crane. I've still got it.
艾伦你是对的。我还是丹尼·克兰,还有货
And I've decided for my new year's resolution, I'm gonna remember that.
我决定把这作为我的新年决心我会记住它的
What's your resolution?
你的决心是什么
It's October.And that's a watch.
现在是九月.这是块表
October's not too late to make a resolution.
九月定新年决心太迟啦
You don't have any?
你没有吗
Mine would be to appreciate my friends every single day and catch more fish.
我的将是感激我的朋友们带来的每一天抓更多的鱼
Speaking of which, the rumor appears to be true.
流言似乎是真的
They're catching them up on commonwealth.
他们的确在下水沟里抓到了鱼
Then what the hell are we doing on this balcony?
那我们到底在阳台上做什么啊
Indeed. Cheers, Denny. Cheers, my friend.
的确,干杯,干杯,我的朋友