Previously on 'Boston legal'
前情提要
You gave me the Crane legacy.
你赐予我克兰这个姓氏
And I fully plan on living up to it.
而我准备将其发扬光大
He's not my son.
他不是我的儿子
Obviously he doesn't know.
很明显他不知道
You're not my father?
你不是我父亲?
I'm not terribly comfortable with you working closely with this woman.
我对你和这个女人工作时那么亲密感到不适
You and I are in a relationship, Alan.
我们在谈恋爱艾伦
The fact that you don't realize it doesn't give you license to be unfaithful.
你没意识到不代表你可以不忠诚
You're mad as a hatter.
你和一个hatter一样疯,(hatter指英国卢顿以及,斯托克港足球俱乐部的球迷)
Denny Crane. You remember me.
丹尼·克兰,你记得我吧
We used to be father and son.
我们曾经是父子
I may not have been around much,
我也许经常不在你身边
but I was always there when you needed me.
但是你需要我的时候我总是在
Still I am.
现在仍是这样
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
我宣誓效忠美利坚合众国国旗
and to the Republic for which it stands,
及其它所象征的共和国
one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
上帝庇佑下的国家不可分割,自由平等与我们同在
Well, Denny, that was refreshing and patriotic. What gives?
丹尼,这真是振奋人心的爱国方式,谁提出的?
I, Denny Crane,
我,丹尼·克兰
am going to court to represent the United States of America.
我准备在庭上代表美国
And what has our country done to deserve you?
我们国家做了什么让你这么干?
US attorney and the DOJ had to recuse themselves,
美国检察官,和司法部必须回避此案,(被告方为美国,涉及利益冲突,因此采取回避制度)
so Alberto appointed me to carry the ball for team USA.
所以Alberto委托我代表美国出战,(Alberto Gonzales为美国司法部长)
The greatest lawyer in the world representing the greatest country in the world,
世界上最伟大的律师,代表世界上最伟大的国家
a match made in heaven.
天作之合
Did you know about this?
你知道这件事吗?
I did not.
一点不知情
Where's a sitter when you need one?
需要为他配个保姆的时候却偏偏找不着
And we're back in court on the Arrow lake water case.
我们明天早上需要回法庭参与箭湖一案
Opposing counsel is relentless. Yet another evidentiary hearing.
对方律师是个强硬派,因此有另一场证据听证会
Denise, per your status report,
丹尼斯,至于你的工作汇报
you had your mandatory settlement conference with datemistake. com last week.
你上个星期和datemistake.com有一个强制协商会议吧
Datemistake.com?
Datemistake. com?
It's an internet site where women can vent their ill feelings about
是一个网站,女性可以在上面,抱怨她们的约会对象
the men they've dated as a warning to other women.
以对其他女性做出一个警示
Our client Derek Roth has been defamed by them.
我们的委托人被它所诽谤了
Oh, I'm sorry.
噢,很抱歉
I, um, you were just a little in my space.
我,呃,你占用了我一点点地方
Yes, Shirley, did reach a settlement.
是的雪莉,我们达成了一个协议
As for Denny, the judge denied the government's motion to dismiss.
至于丹尼,法官刚否决了,政府提出的撤销案件动议
So the spectacle of Denny Crane
因此丹尼·克兰代表美国政府
representing the United States will continue to play out in federal court,
的奇观将继续在联邦法院上演
God save us all.
上帝拯救我们吧
What judge did Denny get?
丹尼面对的是哪个法官?
Judge Kimberly Ohlund.
Kimberly Ohlund法官
I used to clerk for her.
我过去为她做助手
Her current clerk Dan Jinks and I play squash.
她现在的助手是丹·金克斯而我和他有过段情
I'm emailing Dan now.
我现在发email给他
He'll give me everything from the judge's political leanings to her basal temperature after breakfast.
他会给我一切资料,从她的政治倾向到她吃完早餐的基础体温
Thank you, Marlene.
谢谢你,马琳
Sorry I'm late, but as usual, I'm really only here for the fruit.
抱歉我迟到了,但是像往常一样,我只是来这拿水果的
Something new.
有新鲜的味道
Alan, Marlene Stanger. Marlene, Alan Shore.
艾伦这是Marlene Stanger Marlene,这是艾伦·肖尔
A pleasure, Ms. Stanger.
很高兴认识你Stanger小姐
Mr. Shore.
肖尔先生
Marlene comes to us from Howard and Brock.
马琳从Howard and Brock,公司跳槽来我们这里
Your name came up frequently at my old firm.
在我原来的公司经常可以听到你的名字
I hope amid a torrent of obscenities.
我希望是在激情迸发的呻吟声中
Always.
总是
Good.
很好
I look forward to working with you, Ms. Stanger.
期待着和你一起工作Stanger小姐
It's not often you meet someone with such ocular precision.
不是经常可以遇见一个,能够和你对视那么久的人
Why won't you try this case with me?
为什么不和我一起做这个案子?
Personal reasons.
个人原因
It's because you're red.
因为你是红色美国人,(红色代表保守主义,只关注本国,蓝色代表自由主义,关心国际事务)
That's the old red, not the new red, which is the opposite of blue. That's good.
是老派红色,不是反对蓝色的新红色,蓝色很好
It's the old red. That's bad and pink.
老派的红色,又坏颜色又淡
Regardless of my pigmentation, I promised I'd sit with you.
请无视我的色素,我答应我会坐在你身边
That's the best I can do.
我只能做到这一步了
Denny Crane doesn't need any sitters.
丹尼·克兰不需要保姆,(sitter另一意为坐着的人)
What are these "personal reasons" anyway?
你所谓的"个人原因"到底是什么?
It's the global gag rule.
全球计划生育遏制政策(遏制政策禁止接受,美国援助的组织把美国的援助,用于通过堕胎而进行计划生育)
Nonsense.
这是废话
Gags are dangerous, locally or globally.
遏制政策是危险的,无论是在本国还是全球
You don't even know what the global gag rule is, do you?
你根本不知道它说的是什么,对吧?
I can tell you.
我可以告诉你
The global gag rule forces other countries where abortion is perfectly legal
全球计划生育遏制政策,强迫法律允许堕胎的国家
to stop performing them or even uttering the word "abortion,"
禁止堕胎行为甚至禁止讨论堕胎这个词
otherwise, the United states cuts off their funding.
否则,美国就中止对他们的援助
Denny
丹尼.
Denny
丹尼.
Alan
艾伦.
Denny
丹尼.
What are you doing here?
你在这里干吗?
I'm with lawyers without borders.
我是一个无国界律师
They heard you were brought in after the judge denied the government's motion to dismiss.
听说法官否决了政府的撤销动议后,他们就把你找来了
Liberal pinko.
我是左倾的自由主义者
Please rise.
请起立
The honorable Kimberly Ohlund presiding.
尊敬的Kimberly Ohlund法官将主持这场审判
Denny Crane for the United states of America, your honor.
丹尼·克兰代表美国出庭,法官阁下
Denny Crane for the plaintiff Kavita Pokharel.
丹尼·克兰代表原告Kavita Pokharel
I take it you two know each other.
看来你们互相认识
He's not my father.
他不是我父亲
He's like a son.
他就像我儿子
This will be a delight.
看来将会很有趣
I can't believe the squid is working here now.
我不敢相信那个乌贼居然来了我们公司
The squid?
乌贼?
In old mythology, they say the squid is the only animal that can kill a shark.
在古老的神话中,据说乌贼是唯一能够杀死鲨鱼的动物
I used to work with her at Howard and Brock.
我以前在Howard and Brock和她共事
And like the mysterious giant squid,
就像那种神秘的大乌贼
the only evidence of her existence were the whopping sucker marks left on her victims.
唯一能够证明她的存在的,就是受害者身上巨大的吸盘痕迹
I take it you didn't get along.
我想你们相处的并不好
You don't get along with the squid.
你不可能和乌贼友好相处的
She used to tap into the computer network, steal everyone's research memos
她过去常侵入电脑网络,盗取每个人的研究资料
and then claim them as her own.
然后据为己有
Why the hell did we hire her?
到底为什么我们要雇用她?
Beats me.
我也想知道
I only hope she doesn't get my Alan.
我只是希望她不要看上我的艾伦
I was pregnant with my second child.
我当时怀着我的第二个孩子
When I went into labor, my husband took me to the district clinic in Khotang.
当我就要分娩时,我的丈夫把我送到了Khotang的地区诊所
This is in Nepal.
在尼泊尔
Objection.
反对
The witness isn't speaking English.
证人不能够说英语
We're aware of that, Mr. Crane. She's being translated.
我们知道这点克兰先生,,我们有翻译在场
Is that legal?
这样合法吗?
Shocking, isn't it?
很吃惊,是吧?
Continue.
继续
It was the same clinic where I had my first child,
我第一次分娩就是在这家诊所里
only this time, the doctor was gone.
只是这次,医生不见了
The medical assistant said I had an obstetric fistula,
医生助手告诉我,我有阴道瘘管
and I needed a Cesarean section.
我需要做剖腹产
But because they had no equipment or medicine or a physician,
但是因为他们那里既没有设备和药物,也没有医生
they said there was nothing they could do.
因此他们无能为力
I began to hemorrhage.
我开始出血
I almost bled to death, and my baby boy died.
我几乎因为失血过多而死去,而我的孩子死了
I'm not the only one. Thousands are dying.
我不是唯一一个遇到这种情况的人,数千人因此而死去
Why weren't there any supplies?
为什么他们没有任何必要的物资?
They told me the United states had taken away all the clinic's funding.
他们告诉我,美国中止了对诊所的援助
Edward Broden
爱德华·布罗登.
And the man responsible for making that decision was Mr. Edward Broden.
而作出这个决定的人,就是爱德华·布罗登先生
That man?
那个人?
Yes.
是的
I was a physician in Khotang from 2001 until last October.
我从2001年开始就是Khotang地区,的一个医生,直到去年十月份
Our clinic had been funded primarily by the United states.
我们诊所主要由美国援助
Notice he didn't say thank you.
注意到没有,他都没说一声谢谢
He's got a lot on his mind, Denny.
他在内心里感谢了无数次丹尼
And, Dr. Patel, did your clinic perform abortions?
那么Patel医生,你们的诊所提供堕胎服务吗?
No. Even though it is legal in Nepal,
不,即使那在尼泊尔是合法的
our clinic made the decision not to in order to receive US funding.
为了获得美国的援助,我们诊所决定不提供那种服务
However, we hung up a poster that said,
但是,我们贴了一张海报,上面说
"we believe that a woman has a right to control her own body".
"我们相信,女性有权力控制她们自己的身体"
The poster was meant to promote women's rights
这个海报的意图是要宣传女性的权利
and to prevent rape as well as spousal abuse.
和谴责强奸及婚内暴力
But the US aid representative Mr. Broden felt the poster was proabortion.
但是美国援助计划负责人布罗登先生,觉得这是在支持人工流产
And that was that.
因此就变成那样
We lost all of our funding.
我们失去了所有的援助
You're looking thin. You should eat more.
你看上去很瘦,你应该多吃点
Some of us don't have fancy expense accounts to pay for our meals, hmm?
我们当中有人没有,巨额资金账户来为美餐买单
You should get one. They're awesome.
那你应该弄一个,它们实在是很好用
Mr. Crane...
克兰先生...
Yes, yes, yes, yes.
是的,是的,是的是的
Doctor, um...
这位医生,呃...
Patel
帕特尔.
I have in hand here...
我手中有...
a copy of the rules that clinics must follow in order to get US aid.
一份想要获取美国援助的诊所,必须遵守的规章制度手册
You, you've seen this manual?
你,你看过这个手册吗?
Yes, I have. But the rules in it are so vague.
是的,我看过,但是里面的规定很模糊
They're left to the interpretation of the US aid representative.
全凭美国援助计划的负责人解释
And that representative is hired by an appointee
而这个负责人是由
of the president of the United states, is that correct?
美国总统任命的,是这样吗?
Yes.
是的
So, doctor, in your expert opinion as a physician,
那么,医生,用一个医生的专业观点告诉我
who the hell are you to question the president of the United states?
你凭什么可以质疑美国总统?
Objection. Badgering.
反对,这是诱导
Sustained.
反对有效
You know the president is against abortion.
你知道总统是反对堕胎的
So in following the rules, it would seem that you would err on the side of caution,
那么遵照这些规定,你理所应该慎之又慎
but you didn't. You put up an inflammatory poster.
但是你没有,你贴出了一个有煽动性的海报
We didn't feel it was inflammatory to protect the rights of women.
我们并不觉得保护女性权利具有煽动性
Well, it got me mad.
好吧,这让我很不爽
You have other clinics that get our money, right?
你还有其他诊所在接受美国的援助,对吧?
Yes.
是的
Ones who are able to follow the rules?
那些诊所都能够遵守这些规定?
Athe point is, Mr. Crane,
问题在于,克兰先生
while you allow abortion in your country,
你们国内允许堕胎
you are trying to deny it to the rest of the world.
但是却不允许世界上其他国家那么做
The people of this country never decided on abortion.
这个国家的人们从来没有赞成过堕胎
The elected officials never voted on it.
官员们也没有投过赞成票
It was nine justices of the supreme court, and people are still angry about it.
这只不过是最高法院的九位法官的决定,而我们还在为此生气
Objection, he's not asking a question. He's debating.
反对,他不是在提问,是在发牢骚
What are you talking about? The reason why...
你在说什么? 最高法院作出这个决定...
I am not... the supreme court exists...
我才不是... 的原因是...
is to protect people from their own mob mentality,
为了保护人们不受由这个问题引发的
which this issue triggers. I, I disagree. Objection. I disagree.
强势文化的侵害,我,我不同意,反对,我不同意
Fine. Objection right back at you. I, I object to your objections.
那好,我也反对你,我,我反对你的反对
Both objections are sustained. Move on.
两方的反对都有效,继续
So doctor, uh...
那么,这位医生,呃...
Patel
帕特尔.
If you want American money,
如果你要获得美国的援助
don't kill babies.
就别杀掉婴儿(不要支持堕胎)
She wasn't trying to.
她并没有打算这样做
This is so disrespectful.
这真是无礼
You don't come home to papa by suing his government.
你怎么可以起诉你老爹的政府
You're not my papa.
你不是我老爹
Your sperm never touched my egg, and someone has to sue the government.
你的精子从来没有碰到过我的卵细胞,而且必须有人来起诉政府
Look, our policy denies thousands of people
要知道,我们的政策使得数千人失去了
lifesaving medical care based on the personal
它们的生命医疗保障,而这仅仅是因为
religious views of our leader.
它违背了我们领袖的宗教观点
Nothing says democracy like imperialism.
没有理由民主就等同于专制
Why can't you come to town for once and we just toss the pigskin around?
为什么你就不能够只是回来和我聚一聚?
That's American.
这才是美国人啊
Dinner?
一起吃晚饭?
8 o'clock.
8点
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰.
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰.
Denny Crane
丹尼·克兰.
We had this settled.
我们已经协商过了
Upon further review of the agreement, Mr. Roth didn't approve.
在详细地审视了这份协议后,Roth先生不太满意
I don't know what game you're playing here,
我不知道你想玩什么花样
but you're not getting another dime from us.
但是你不会从我们这里得到更多的东西了
Please don't address my client directly.
请别直接和我的委托人说话
Talk to me.
有话和我说
Your client should know that our original offer was more than generous.
你的委托人应该知道我们原来提出的方案,已经是够慷慨的了
That's not the way I see it.
我可不这么认为
13 months ago, Derek went out on a few dates with one Monique Foster, 13
个月之前Derek,和一位,Monique Foster小姐约会了几次
otherwise known at your web site, datemistake. com, as anonymous.
也就是你的网站datemistake.com上面的那位无名氏
Things didn't work out and he broke up with her.
可是进展不顺利,于是他和她分手了
A few months later, he met someone else, fell in love and got engaged.
几个月之后,他遇到了,另一个令他倾心的女性并且订了婚
Things looked rosy.
听起来很浪漫
Yeah, until anonymous found datemistake. com
是的,直到无名氏发现了,datemistake.com这个网站
and started posting all these lies about me.
然后在上面发贴子污蔑我
His fiancee found him prominently displayed on the site and broke up with Derek two days later.
他的未婚妻在网站显眼的地方发现了,他的名字,二天后就和他分手了
We all know what happened, Ms. Stanger. We reached the original settlement.
我们知道发生了什么Stanger小姐,,我们在之前也达成了协议
What we didn't know was the rest of the story.
可是我们不知道还有下文
Now anytime someone tries to google my name or my company, "Roth's plumbing supply,"
现在如果有人在google里输入我的名字,或者我的公司"Roth's铅管供应商"
instead of finding my web site, yours is the first site that comes up.
出现在搜索首位的不是我的网站,而是你们的
My sales have dropped 40% since this posting.
我的销售额自从这个事件后下跌了40%
You could've posted a rebuttal, responded to anonymous' opinions of you.
你可以对此作出辩驳,用同样匿名的方式来表达你的观点
But why should I have to?
但是为什么我要这么做?
You destroy my client's reputation, his business,
你毁坏了我委托人的名声和生意
you humiliate him in public, then force him to fix the damages that you've caused.
你当众侮辱他,迫使他收拾你所留下的残局
That's lika glass company throwing rocks through your window then saying,
这就像玻璃公司向你的窗户,丢一块石头然后说
"hey, need to buy a new window?"
"嗨,需要再买一块新玻璃窗吗?"
Hey.
嗨
Nancy
Nancy.
Derek
德里克.
Denise, right. You know everyone.
丹尼斯,很好,你都认识
I do.
我当然认识
May I see you?
我能和你谈一下吗?
Of course.
当然
What the hell are you doing with my client?
你到底和我的委托人在干什么?
Well, Denise, uh,
丹尼斯,呃
I was looking over some of your settlement agreements,
我之前看了看你的协商条款
just to see how things worked around here.
只是想看看这里的做事方式
Some firms are quite formal and sticklers for grammar and language.
因为有些公司对格式和文法很讲究
I see around here anything goes, which is fine, I just needed to know.
我观察了一下这里的运作,很好,我只是想要了解一下
What are you doing with my client?
你和我的委托人在一起干什么?
I looked at the settlement figure you had.
我看了看你起草的那份协议
I thought we could do better.
我想我们可以做得更好
I saw Denny was the assigned partner in the case...
这时我看见丹尼是主管这个案子的合伙人...
You, you went to Denny behind my back to steal my case?
你,你背着我,跑到丹尼那里去偷了我的案子?
Oh, no, no. God, no.
噢,不是,不是的,上帝,不是这样
I just told him my thoughts.
我只是告诉他我的想法
He was very encouraging and told me to go for it.
他非常高兴,然后鼓励我去做
So I held the documents from being published, made a few calls,
因此我收回了这份还没签署的文件,打了几个电话
and well, here we are.
然后,我们就在这里了
Our client is really, really happy and I think we can ring these people up for some big bucks.
我们的委托人真的非常高兴,而我想我们可以为他们争取到更多的钱
There's only one problem with that, Marlene.
只存在一个问题马琳
Derek in there doesn't have a case.
那里坐着的德里克.并没有起诉的理由
The $10,000 settlement I got him was a gift from datemistake. com to make him go away.
我为他争取到的这1万美元的协议,是datemistake.com用来打发他的
I think we could get more, and if you agree with me,
我想我们可以争取到更多,如果你同意我的意见的话
I would love to share this case with you.
我愿意和你分享这个案子
We're leaving, as is our original offer.
我们走了,原协议作废
They'll be back.
他们会回来的
She just went to Denny and stole my case.
她就这样跑到丹尼那里去偷了我的案子
Just stole it.
就这样偷了它
Okay.
好了
Did you know that at her old firm they called her "the squid"?
你知道她在她原来的公司被称作乌贼吗?
The squid?
乌贼?
The only thing that can kill a shark?
唯一能够杀死鲨鱼的东西?
But what really gets me about these people
但是真正使我恼火的是那些
is how they're so obvious and manipulative.
容易被看透和被影响的人们
And you're trying to manipulate our friendship to get me to do something about this.
那你现在在试图向我,施加影响为此去做一些事情
Yes.
是的
After she stole my case,
在她偷了我的案子之后
she had the nerve to tell me we could "share" it.
她居然还敢对我说要和我"分享"它
Marlene is a firstrate lawyer. She brings in a lot of money.
马琳是一个优秀的律师,她能为公司赚很多钱
She almost made partner at Howard and Brock.
她在Howard and Brock事务所,几乎当上了合伙人
We recruited her with the understanding
我们雇用她是基于这样一个共识
that if she does as well here as she did there,
如果她在这里能够,做得像在原来事务所那样好
she would make partner in the next vote.
下次投票时她就可以成为合伙人
And you're okay with that?
而你对此感到没问题?
I am, yeah.
我是的
Look, Denise, you have a very bright future here but...
看,丹尼斯,你在这里有着美好的未来,但是...
let me put this as gently as I can.
让我尽量把话说婉转点
Toughen up.
你要变得更强
Are you seeing anyone?
你有在约会吗?
Not really. You?
不算吧,你呢?
I got married.
我结婚了
Married?
结婚了?
For a day.
维持了一天
We tried to contact you for the wedding, but you were nowhere to be found.
我们试图请你来婚礼,但是我们找不到你
Um, question.
呃,有个问题
Do the girls actually talk?
这些女孩不说话吗?
I'm not quite sure of the etiquette here.
我不肯定这是不是一种礼节
I, I don't think there's a question of etiquette, son.
我,我不认为这是一个关于礼节的问题,孩子
They're escorts.
她们是装饰品
So you like flying around the world,
那么你喜欢全世界到处飞
picking up strangers, bringing them to our courts?
挑选陌生人,然后带他们回来打官司?
It isn't a matter of liking.
这不是喜欢不喜欢的问题
I'm trying to make people understand.
我在试图使人们明白
All these clinics forced to close their doors
仅仅是因为我们总统的几个字
by the simple stroke of the pen of our president.
所有这些诊所就被强迫关门
Now here we are in Boston
现在我们在波士顿
where there are eight worldclass hospitals within a 10mile radius.
这儿10英里的半径内,就有着8间世界顶级的医院
We don't see it.
我们看不到这些情况
I'm hoping Kavita will help us see it.
我希望Kavita能够让我们对此有所了解
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
噢,噢,噢,噢,噢,噢
I got the picture now.
我知道了
This is all about beating your old man, isn't it, son?
归根到底就是为了打败你的老爸,对吧,孩子?
For once, this isn't about you.
曾经是,但是这次不是
Then you won't mind losing.
那你就不会介意你会输掉了
I've got the law on my side.
法律站在我这边
Plus, the United states government and Denny Crane.
此外,美国政府和丹尼·克兰
Two equal and unstoppable forces.
两个同样强大和无法阻止的存在
And I've got a sympathetic judge
但是我有一个充满同情心的法官
and an honest woman who lost her child.
还有一个失去了孩子的诚实的母亲
You always taught me, emotion wins.
你总是教我,感情制胜
Isn't he something?
他了不起吧?
We're late.
我们要迟到了
You're late.
你要迟到了
I'm not going.
我不去了
That time of the month?
你那个来了?
Come on.
别这样
We're having fun.
我们会玩得很开心的
You're having fun,
是你会很开心
sweeping into court trying a monumental case
横扫法庭,打一场不朽的官司
about which there is much to be thoughtful, much to articulate,
一场发人深省的,字字属实的官司
about which you know almost nothing.
一场你几乎是一无所知的官司
And you're using nothing
一场你用轻松的笑话,名贵的西装
but easy jokes, a swell suit and blind patriotism.
和盲目的爱国心就打发掉的官司
You're jealous of my son.
你在嫉妒我的孩子
Denny, you don't have a son, and the truth is,
丹尼,你没有孩子,而事实上
you're making a complete ass out of yourself in that courtroom about something you shouldn't.
你在庭上像个傻瓜出尽了洋相,而这些错你不应该犯的
I don't care to see it or support it.
我不想看见或者忍受这些了
There's a difference between being an ass and being effective.
傻瓜和装傻是有分别的
When you win, they say you're effective. When you lose, which I never do,
当你赢了,他们会说你这招很有效,当你输了,当然我从不会输
they call you an ass.
你们会叫你傻瓜
I don't need you, Alan.
我不需要你艾伦
I don't need anybody.
我不需要任何人
Never have.
从来不
Never will.
永远不
I was in charge of the US aid office in the Northeastern region of Nepal.
我负责尼泊尔东北部地区的美国援助工作
Part of my job was to enforce the rules of the Mexico city policy.
我的工作之一就是贯彻墨西哥城政策
What policy?
什么政策?
Everything comes with rice and beans.
所有事情都和大米大豆有关
No, the name of the policy in question is the Mexico city policy.
不,这个政策的名字叫做墨西哥城政策
But opponents erroneously refer to it as the global gag rule.
但是对方把它谬称为全球计划生育遏制政策
All right. So what are we doing in Mexico?
好吧,我们在墨西哥做了什么?
That's where president Reagan first enacted the policy in 1984.
那里是里根总统于1984年,首次颁布这个政策的地方
It was enacted as a reaction to forced abortions
这个政策是对中国将强制堕胎作为
in China as a means of population control.
计划生育手段的一种遏制
Chinese, Mexican, anybody hungry?
中国人,墨西哥人,有人饿了吗?
Objection.
反对
Sustained.
反对有效
All right, let's get back to America.
好吧,让我们回到美国
Are you saying that these policies were enacted as a humanitarian gesture?
你是说我们是站在人道主义,的立场上颁布这项政策的?
Yes, it was.
是的,当时是
And is it in the United states' discretion to decide which clinics get funding?
那是不是由美国来判断,哪些诊所可以得到援助?
As a part of our governmental function, yes.
作为政府行为的一部分,是的
Determining funding is a purely governmental function.
决定采取援助是一项纯粹的政府行为
And, uh, governments are immune under the, uh...
而且,呃,政府具有豁免权,根据,呃...
under the, uh...
根据,呃...
federal tort claims act.
联邦侵权赔偿法
Right.
没错
Therefore...
因此...
you will move for dismissal, and I will again deny the motion.
你会要求撤销此案,而我将会继续否决你的要求
Move on.
继续
Nothing further, your honor.
我问完了,法官阁下
You, uh, you say this was done as a humanitarian effort.
你,呃,你说这是基于人道主义的立场
However, the rule was instituted by president Reagan,
但是,这个政策是由里根总统提出
continued under the first president Bush,
在老布什总统执政时期得以保留
then rescinded during the Clinton administration.
然后在克林顿总统任期间被废除
That's true.
是的
And the day George W. Bush took office,
当小布什总统上台后
reinstating the global gag rule was one of his first official pieces of business.
恢复全球计划生育遏制政策,成为了他首要事务之一
That sounds political to me.
这对我来说更像政治立场
Objection, uh...
反对,呃...
Sustained.
反对有效
So the policy was designed to stop abortion as a method of family planning?
那么这个政策阻止的是,因为强制计划生育而堕胎的情况?
Yes.
是的
Even though, by withdrawing funding from those clinics,
即便如此,通过中断对这些诊所的援助
they no longer have money for any family planning,
他们是否也不再有能力,来实施任何的家庭计划生育
which could stop unwanted pregnancies and the need for abortions?
例如中止意外怀孕或者孕妇本身要求流产?
Mr. Broden, you're not the only US aid representative
布罗登先生,你不是唯一的一个面对这种
that has to deal with this issue, are you?
困境的美国援助计划代表,对吗?
No, I'm not.
是的,我不是
The truth is that our global gag rule is affecting, well...
事实上,我们的全球计划生育遏制政策正在影响...
the globe.
全球
The Balkans, Africa, South America, Asia,
巴尔干半岛,非洲,南美,亚洲
any place dependant on US funding is not allowed to even utter the word "abortion".
任何依靠美国援助的地方,都甚至不允许提及"堕胎"这个词
Yes, that's true.
是的,这是事实
So don't you think it's curious
我们的政府出台阻止堕胎这种政策
that in our administration's quest to stop abortion,
实际上我们是在限制言论自由,而言论自由这恰恰是民主的特征
we're actually restricting free speech, which is a hallmark of democracy?
那么你不认为我们这样很奇怪么?
Objection. Irrelevant and unpatriotic.
反对,无关而且不爱国
Sustained.
反对有效
Datemistake.com.
Datemistake. com.
Thank goodness technology has progressed to the point
谢天谢地,科技终于发展到这个程度
where we no longer have to deal with our issues privately.
我们不再需要自己隐秘地处理自己的事务了
So any of my misadventures chronicled in there?
上面有关于我的流言蜚语么?
No.
没有
Surprised?
很惊讶?
A little.
一点点
As to the fact that you checked on me, no.
而对于你会在上面调查我的事,我不吃惊
Just so you know, that little incident would be considered sexual harassment.
你要知道,你刚才的话可以被认为是性骚扰
You're quite intoxicating. Oops.
你真迷人,哇
Did it again.
再说一次
But you won't report me to the bosses.
但是你不会向老板们投诉我的
Why not?
为什么不?
Marlene...
马琳...
while I haven't known you long,
虽然我认识你时间不长
I get the feeling your best work is done behind your colleague's back.
我可以感觉的到,你最拿手的就是背着同事做事
If you were to report me, you certainly wouldn't have warned me first.
如果你真的要投诉我,你肯定不会先警告我
And besides, what you'd really like to do is wrap your legs around me
此外,你真正想做的是,用你的腿缠绕着我
and scream at the top of your lungs.
用尽全力尖叫
You're allowed one, aren't you?
你想来一次,是吗?
Excuse me?
你说什么?
How about I just clear everything off this desk?
不如我直接把台面清空?
We can take care of things right now,
我们可以就地解决一下
then afterwards, you can write me up and send me on my way.
在那之后,你可以写报告投诉我
You're repulsive.
你真令人厌恶
You're right.
你说的对
And yet I can see in your eyes you're not completely repulsed.
但是我从你的眼里看到,你并不是对此完全感到厌恶
And therein lies the rub.
而这就是麻烦所在
You can't hold someone liable for expressing an opinion.
你不能因为某人发表言论而让其负上责任
And besides, truth is a defense.
而且,事实胜于雄辩
There are no objectively false facts here.
我们这儿并没有任何客观上的错误内容
Oh, you gotta be kidding me.
噢,你是在说笑吗
Anonymous called me cheap.
那个无名氏说我很吝啬
Where did you take anonymous to dinner?
你带她去哪里吃晚饭?
Jimmy Changas
Jimmy Changas.
And is it true that you used a coupon?
你是否真的用了优惠券?
Uh, that's not cheap. That's smart.
呃,这不是吝啬,这是聪明
And did you pay?
你付帐了吗?
Yes, I did.
是的
And did she pay, too?
她也付帐了吗?
Yes.
是的
He treated her as an equal,
他平等地对待她
which only proves he's a feminist as well as resourceful.
只能说明他是一个足智多谋的女权主义者
Anonymous didn't post that on there.
而那个无名氏没有把这点说清楚
Yeah, and she says I have no sense of humor.
是啊,而且她说我没有幽默感
I make jokes all the time.
我经常说笑话
Those aren't jokes. Those are puns. Puns aren't funny.
那些不是笑话,那些是双关语,双关语不好笑
Well, that's just your...
这只是你的...
opunion, isn't it?
opunion(意见)不是吗? (他把opinion(意见)和pun(双关语)合在一起了)
Oh, dear God.
噢,天啊
Look, Denise,
你看,丹尼斯
we agreed to return to the table in good faith based on your reputation,
我们同意回到这里,是完全是看在你良好的名声的份上
but you haven't given us any reason to even go back to the original agreement.
但是你没有给我们任何能让我们,甚至是同意最初的协议的理由
All of the facts are on our side.
所有的事实都站在我们这一边
But we may have more plaintiffs on our side.
但是有更多的原告站在我们这一边
With just a quick search on your web site,
在快速浏览了你们的网站后
we have found ten men willing to come forward who were defamed with false statements.
我们发现10个男性愿意出来指控你们诽谤
It's a fact, not opinion.
这是事实,不是想法
You never mentioned these men in your previous negotiations.
你上次并没有提过这些人
We were just focusing on our client, and we were hoping you would be reasonable.
我们只是把注意力集中在我们的委托人身上,而我们曾希望你们会通情达理一点
But you're not being reasonable.
但是你没没有
So we're expanding this case to a class action suit.
所以我们只好把这个案子扩大为集体诉讼
As to the facts...
至于诉讼内容...
Brett Doran does not still live with his mother.
Brett Doran不再和他母亲一起住了
Jack Bostick does not have a 1inch Johnson, even on a cold day.
Jack Bostick的那话儿不止1英寸,就算是在冷天
I could go on.
我还可以继续
There are 300,000 more postings and plenty of eager associates to review them.
那儿还有超过30万张帖子,而我有很多热心的同事等着检查它们
We'll give you a chance to talk this over. Marlene.
我给你一个机会商量一下,马琳
You posted these complaints yourself, didn't you?
这些帖子是你自己贴上去的,是吗?
I'd have to be an idiot to do that.
我一定是个傻瓜才会那么做
So you had someone else do it for you. A sister, a girlfriend?
所以你让别人帮你做,一个姐妹或者一个女朋友?
Denise, while you were out on a date last night,
丹尼斯当你昨晚出去约会的时候
I was here until 3 o'clock in the morning hunting these guys down.
我在这儿呆到早上3点把这些人找出来
All it took was some hard work and long hours, but I was willing to do it.
虽然是费时吃力的工作,但是我很乐意去做
Now we can go to court.
现在我们有机会上庭了
The reward is potentially bigger, but so are the risks.
回报将会很丰厚,但同时也有风险
Or we can go back in there and get a bigger settlement than you originally negotiated.
或者我们可以回去谈判桌上,获得一份比你之前谈判得来的更好的协商
Your call.
你决定
I talk.
我来说
You don't say anything.
你不要说话
So, had the chance to talk things over?
那么,你们商量好了吗?
As a matter of fact, we have.
事实上,是的
And?
那么?
We don't like the way you do business, Denise.
我们不喜欢你做事的方式丹尼斯
And I don't like the way Ms. Moran does business.
我也不喜欢莫兰小姐做生意的方式
Your company trades on the misery and pettiness of others.
你的公司建立在别人的痛苦和不幸上
Ms. Moran, there are two ways to make money in a business like this.
莫兰小姐,像你这样的生意有两种方式赚钱
The first is the shortterm cash you make
一种是在像我们这些人介入和
before someone like us comes in and shuts you down with a major lawsuit.
用一场大官司让你倒闭之前赚点短钱
The other is the real money that comes when you grow your business large enough
另一种方法就是当你的公司做得足够大时
that one of the big media companies buys you out.
有一家大型传媒公司把你买下来,那你就真正赚到了钱
But nobody's going to buy a company
但是没有人会打算买下一间
with a potentially huge class action lawsuit hanging over its head.
有随时有潜在的巨型官司风险的公司
And that's why you were willing to settle in the first place.
因此当初你会愿意首先提出协商解决
$30,000 and this all goes away.
3万美元,我们就不再追究
$20,000.
2万
$25,000. Done.
2万5成交
I'll draw up the paperwork.
我来起草协议书
You like hot fudge sundaes?
你喜欢热奶油巧克力圣代吗? (一种雪糕,没见过的去M记可以见到类似的)
Ah, who knows what you like?
啊,谁知道你喜欢什么?
You're a weirdo.
你是个怪胎
But my point is, people like hot fudge sundaes.
但是我要说的是,人们喜欢热奶油巧克力圣代
Well, yesterday in court, I gave them a hot fudge sundae.
昨天在庭上,我给了所有人一个热奶油巧克力圣代
I was brilliant.
我实在是光芒四射
But after you've had a big, delicious hot fudge sundae,
但是当你吃过一个又大,又美味的热奶油巧克力圣代之后
it's awhile before you want another one. Are you with me so far?
你在短时间内不会再想吃另外一个了,你知道我在说什么么?
Let's say that I am.
我知道
Great. I want you to do the closing argument.
很好,我要你做结案陈词
I'm sorry?
你说什么?
I gave the jury a great big Denny Crane sundae
我给了陪审团一份,超大型的丹尼?克兰圣代
with chocolate sauce and nuts and a cherry on the top, and now they're full.
顶部点缀着巧克力糖浆,果仁和樱桃,现在他们饱了
I can't stuff another one down their throats so soon.
我没办法这么快又给他们塞下另一个
Denny, how'd it really go in court yesterday?
丹尼,昨天庭上到底怎么样了?
Magnificent.
精彩绝伦
That being said, if the jury heard from someone that wasn't me,
这么说吧,如果陪审团听到除了我之外的其他人发言
it might refocus them in a way that would guarantee victory.
那么我们就可以获得完全的胜利
Not that victory is in doubt.
而不是侥幸的胜利
I see.
我懂了
Alan, I need to stay undefeated.
艾伦,我需要保持不败的战绩
I don't want to look like a fool in, in front of...
我不想看上去像个白痴,在别人面前...
I need you to do this.
我要你做结案陈词
Friend helping friend.
为朋友两肋插刀
This case is not about abortion.
这个案子并不是关于堕胎的
It isn't about freedom of speech.
不是关于言论自由的
It isn't even about what foreign policy the United states chooses to conduct.
也不是关于美国采用哪种对外政策
This case is about hypocrisy and the arrogance of power.
这个案子是关于伪善和恃强凌弱
Now under the laws of the United states, abortion is legal.
在现在的美国法律中,堕胎是合法的
But we tell other countries that if they want US aid,
但是我们告诉其他国家,如果他们需要美国的援助
they cannot perform, encourage or even mention abortion.
他们不能实施,鼓励或者甚至是提起堕胎
We look the world in the eye and say, "do as I say, not as I do".
我们看着世界喊道"照我说的做,别照我做的做"
It's the very essence of hypocrisy.
这从根本上来说就是伪善
So the clinic that Kavita Ookharel went to
因此Kavita Ookharel曾去的那家诊所
had had its funding cut off by a US aid representative
被美国援助计划代表中止了支援
who mistakenly believed that a poster in the clinic advocated abortion.
他错误地认为诊所的那幅海报鼓励堕胎
She had been to the clinic before, and everything had been fine.
她曾经去过那家诊所就医,当时一切都很好
She had the reasonable expectation that the clinic would continue to function.
她有理由期待这个诊所将会继续运作下去
How could she, how could anyone be expected to know
然而她怎么能想到,任何一个人怎么能想到
that United states policy is as changeable as the political winds?
美国政府的政策就像政治风向一样朝闻夕改?
A political hack made a brutal, thoughtless decision that could not be appealed.
我们的政治代言人作出了一个,无法挽回的粗暴的未经思考的决定
And Ms. Pokharel's baby died.
然后Pokharel小姐的孩子死了
At a time when we're trying to spread democracy around the globe,
每次当我们尝试着将民主散布到全球时
let us show the world that we are not hypocrites.
让我们向世界表明我们不是伪善者
Let us show the world that
让我们向世界表明
when the government of the Untied States makes a horrible, tragic mistake,
当美国政府犯了一个可怕的,可悲的错误时
the courts of the United States will make that government pay for it.
美国的法庭会让它付出代价
I'd like to begin with a cheer.
我想先从欢呼开始
We're number one.
我们是老大
We're number one.
我们是老大
We're number...
我们是...
it's not much of a cheer.
这并不是什么欢呼
It's repetitive and rhythmically uninteresting,
这只是反复地有节奏地无趣
but it does succinctly apply to our country,
但是在我们国家这的确行得通
and has for quite some time.
而且在很长一段时间内都是如此
In fact, we've been number one so long
事实上,我们作为老大已经很久了
that the rest of the world has come to rely on us. And we don't let them down.
以至于其他国家都想要依靠我们,而我们不能让他们失望
We're the world's largest donor of devopment assistance.
我们是世界发展援助计划最大的捐赠国
All in all, as a nation, we donate over $55 billion a year in foreign aid.
总而言之,作为一个国家,我,们每年对外援助超过550亿
Money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money.
钱,钱,钱,钱,钱,钱,钱,钱
Everything is about money.
所有东西都和钱有关
But we must never forget that there is a terrible human tragedy,
但是我们不要忘记在此当中
the center of all this.
发生了一场人类的悲剧
Ms. Pokharel lost her child.
Pokharel小姐失去了她的孩子
The loss of any child's life is an incalculable horror.
失去任何孩子的生命都是难以估计的灾难
It is for that reason
因此
that I would ask you to award the plaintiff piles and piles of money.
我请求你们判给原告大叠大叠的钱
After all, we have so much to give away.
反正,我们已经给出去那么多了
Why not?
有何不可呢?
Piles and piles.
大叠大叠的
Thank you.
谢谢
You know...
要知道...
come to think of it, maybe we don't have that much to give away, do we?
突然间想一想,也许我们没有那么多钱可以给出去,不是吗?
Our national debt is now over $8 trillion.
我们国家的债务现在已经超过8万亿美元
Eh, who cares?
呃,有谁会在乎呢?
Give them piles anyway. What the hell?
尽管给他们就是了,管他呢?
Never mind that we have 37 million people
更不用说我们国内有3千7百万人民
living below the poverty line right here at home.
生活在贫困线之下
What does it matter that our own literacy rate doesn't even rank in the top 50 countries?
我们的良好教育率,甚至排不上前50名又有什关系呢?
Just keep shelling out the foreign aid.
尽管继续海外援助好了
Does it really bother anyone that we don't have the resources to help the Katrina victims?
有谁会为我们没有足够的资源去帮助,卡特里娜灾民而受到困扰?(美国有数个州,在卡特里娜飓风的袭击下损失惨重)
Of course not. What's really important is,
当然没有,重要的是
that the United States continue to be that big ATM machine to the world,
美国继续成为世界上最大的自动提款机
doling out wads of cash to every country who wants it.
为每个需要的国家发放大量的现金援助
Money, money, money, money, money, money, money.
钱,钱,钱,钱,钱,钱,钱,钱
Never mind we don't have it.
就算我们没有那么多
These other nations, they're entitled, aren't they?
这些国家们,他们有权利获得援助,不是吗?
Even the ones who vilify us for protecting their freedom,
就算是那些为了保护他们的自由,而诬蔑我们的国家也享有这种权利
by the way, listening to plaintiff's counsel,
另外,听了原告律师的辩诉
I couldn't help but concur, how horrible we Americans are.
我不禁地觉得我们美国人真是太坏了
Okay, so we donate $55 billion a year in foreign aid.
好吧,我们每年对外援助550亿美元
But then we impose certain conditions on those gifts.
但是我们在这些礼物上面附加了一点条件
Imagine our awfulness. And here, my God,
想象一下这有多糟糕,然后这里的情形,我的天
we promised money to a clinic so long as they promised not to promote abortion.
我们许诺诊所以援助,只要他们不提倡堕胎
So they did. How dare we not give them the money just the same?
他们这样做了,我们怎么能够不遵守诺言呢?
We should've given them that and then some.
我们应该继续援助他们,甚至更多
We have a duty to provide these handouts.
我们有责任继续提供这些援助
we have an absolute duty,
我们有着绝对的责任
'cause we are the United States of America.
因为我们是美国
And these other nations, well, they're entitled,
而这些国家,好吧,他们有这个权利
whether they keep their promises or not.
不管他们有没有遵守承诺
Our settlement check came in. 25 Gs.
我们的协议款收到了,2万5
I'm just glad everything worked out.
我很开心事情圆满解决了
Me, too.
我也是
But for all the strum and drang, we really did make a pretty good team.
出了有点不和谐之外,我们的确是一个很好的团队
I'm so glad we're not like those women in the workplace
我真高兴你不像其他工作地方的女性一样
who feel compelled to compete with every pair of legs in a skirt.
容不下任何一个同性同事
You know, Marlene,
你要知道马琳
you are not gonna get very far at Crane, Poole & Schmidt
使用你在这个案子里这种孤注一掷的方式
pulling the kind of crap you did with this case.
你不会在克兰, Poole & Schmidt,事务所里走得太远
Denise, the only crap I pulled was to believe in this case and invest myself in it.
丹尼斯,我下的唯一赌注就是,我相信这个案子会有所作为
That's why we more than doubled our money.
正因如此我们获得了2倍的收益
And I think that's why they hired me at Crane, Poole & Schmidt.
而我想这就是克兰, Poole & Schmidt,事务所聘请我的原因
Why did they hire you?
他们为什么聘请你?
Anyway, see you later.
什么都好,呆会见
Squid.
乌贼
Has the jury reached a verdict?
陪审团达成一致意见了吗?
We have, your honor.
是的,法官阁下
How say you?
是什么?
In the matter of Kavita Pokharel vs. the United States,
在Kavita Pokharel对美国一案
we find in favor of...
我们裁决...
the United States of America.
美国胜诉
Thank you for your service. We're adjourned.
谢谢你们的参与,休庭
Still undefeated.
仍旧不败
I think my closing made all the difference.
我想我的结案陈词是制胜的关键
Denny, if I wrote it and delivered it, how did it become your closing?
丹尼,做结案陈词的是我,怎么变成你的了?
My case, I'm the lead attorney and, of course, I'm...
我的案子,我是负责人,当然,我是...
Yes, you are.
是的,你是
the United States of America.
美国
Of course, we'll appeal.
当然,我们会上诉
Of course, you'll lose.
当然,你们依然会输
Dinner, Denny?
晚餐,丹尼?
Delighted, Denny.
非常乐意,丹尼
Son, let me ask you something.
孩子,让我问你点东西
These lost causes...
这种必输无疑的案子...
why do you do it?
你为什么要接?
I suppose the struggle gives me comfort.
我想是反抗让我觉得舒适
Why do you do what you do?
你为什么做你所做的事?
I don't actually remember.
我不太记得了
It may have something to do with the massive amounts of money I make.
也许和我赚的大笔钱有关
My mom died...
我妈死了...
uh, a few months ago.
呃,几个月前
I, I was gonna tell you the other night, but the...
我,那天晚上我本来想告诉你的,但是...
well...
那个...
hookers made it a little uncomfortable.
你叫的那两个妓女让我难以开口
I went looking for my real father.
我去看过我的真正父亲
And?
然后?
Lives in Maine.
住在缅因州
He works on a cranberry bog.
他在一个酸果曼沼泽里工作
Good man.
不错的人
He wears waders.
他穿着高筒防水胶靴
Most days, he's up to his knees in water and little red fruits.
大部分时间里,他置身于水和红色果实之中
Sounds like a very moist man.
听起来像个湿人
He's not you.
他不是你
Not the man I imagined growing up.
不是我想成为的那个人
Not the man I pictured in my mind when I was studying in law school.
不是我在法学院里学习时,脑海中出现的那个人
So you're all alone.
因此你现在一个亲人也没有了
Yepper.
算是吧
So...
那么...
any interest in being my fake father again?
有没有兴趣再次假装成我的父亲?
I never stopped being your fake father, son.
我从来没有停止过把我当成你的父亲,孩子
Good night, Mr. Crane.
晚上好克兰先生
Good night, Ms. Stanger.
晚上好Stanger小姐
Your closing was very convincing, almost as if you believed it.
你的结案陈词非常有说服力,就像你自己都相信一样
I did.
我相信
You do love America.
你的确爱国
Of course I do.
我当然爱国
I didn't agree with the string our government attached to the money in this case,
我并不同意我们的政府,在这个案子里的处理方式
but we have every right to attach strings to the funds we give.
但是我们的确有权力,在我们的援助里这么做
That's my boy.
这才是我的人
I'm your friend, Denny, but I'm not your boy.
我是你的朋友,不是你的人
That's what troubles me, this notion that we have to take sides in this country now,
这就是困扰我的东西,这种我们一定要区分阵营的观念
you're either with us or against us, Republican or Democrat,
你要不是站在我这边,要不就是我的敌人,共和党或者是民主党
red state or blue state.
红色州或者是蓝色州
I can't believe I live in a blue state.
我不敢相信我身处一个蓝色州
No one looks at an issue and struggles over the right position to take anymore.
没有人把它当回事,也不再为自己的正确的立场而斗争
And yet, our ability to reason is what makes us human.
作为人类,我们拥有质疑的能力
Lately we seem so willing to forfeit that gift of reason
但是现在我们好像愿意把质疑这个天赋丢弃
in exchange for the good feeling of belonging to a group.
以换取属于某个阵营所带来的优越感
We all just take the position of our team.
我们都在我们的阵营里找到归属
I've certainly done it and hated myself for it.
我也不例外,而我对自己深恶痛绝
I've never heard you make so much sense.
我从来没听你说话那么多感性的话
I make sense all the time, you just listen intermittently.
我总是在说,只是你经常当作耳边风
Could be.
也许是吧
I like that new girl.
我喜欢新来的女孩
Marlene
马琳.
She's got an aggressive eye.
她有一对咄咄逼人的眼睛
Bet she's magnificent in bed.
我打赌她在床上也很厉害
Oh, I bet she's at her best back against the wall.
噢,我打赌她最厉害的姿势应该是背靠着墙
I can't wait till next week.
我真期待着下一周的到来,(欢迎继续收看第26集)