I'm still a bit of a washout as a screenwriter.
作为编剧来讲 我还是挺失败的
I just can't make the grade as a hack.
在没有灵感的时候 我确实写不出什么好东西
Even that requires a certain practiced excellence.
即使是写剧本 也是需要不断练习的
I'm mighty glad to see you, Scott.
我真的非常高兴能见到你 史考特
I've been rambling around for months now.
这几个月 我一直在到处走走看看
Haven't had anybody to talk to about work.
都没找到什么可以一起谈论作品的人
Ah. Work.
啊 作品
I mean, who better to talk to?
我就想 应该找谁来谈谈呢?
The man who created something immortal.
一定是创造了不朽杰作的人
More and more, I trouble myself with that.
现在我一直被一个概念所困扰 并且越发的纠结
"The legacy."
“传奇人物”
Will anyone care about Thomas Wolfe in one hundred years? Ten years?
百年后还有人记得汤玛士·沃尔夫吗? 十年后呢?
When I was young, I asked myself that question every day.
我年轻的时候 也几乎每天问自己这个问题
Now, I ask myself, "Can I write one good sentence?"
但现在 我常常自问,“我还能写出一句好句子吗?”
How can you say that? Don't you want to be remembered?
你怎么能这么说呢? 难道你不想被世人铭记?
This Side of Paradise was just put out of print... for the first time in eighteen years.
对于这种华而不实 天花乱坠的幻想 我早在十八年前就逐渐淡去了
Gatsby will go next. That'll never happen.
《大亨小传》会是下一部流传不息的杰作 不可能
You know how much I made in royalties on Gatsby last year?
你知道去年我依靠《大亨小传》的稿费 赚了所少钱吗?
Two dollars and thirteen cents.
两块钱零十三分
But I don't mind. I'm working now.
但我不在乎 反正现在我有其他工作
My nextdoor neighbor is a radio actress.
我的邻居是个配音演员
She periodically rehearses her screams and laughter.
她偶尔会排练一下自己的尖叫声和笑声
That's a little disquieting.
真让人不安
Oh, the laughing's worse. Trust me.
噢 相信我 笑声还要可怕
You spoken to Max lately? Oh, don't talk about Max.
你最近跟麦克斯谈过吗? 噢 别跟我提麦克斯
Why not, Tom?
为什么 汤姆?