We have finally found something that doesn't have a cause,
我们终于找到一个不需要前因后果的东西
because there was no time for a cause to exist in.
因为没有时间可供前因存在
For me,this means there is no possibility of a creator
对我而言 这代表不可能有创世者
because there is no time for a creator to have existed.
因为没有时间让创世者能存在
Since time itself began at the moment of the Big Bang,
既然时间开始于大爆炸那一瞬间
it was an event that could not have been caused or created by anyone or anything.
这个事件就不可能由 任何人或任何事引发或创造
So,science has given us the answer we set out to discover,
科学给了我们答案 我们开始寻找答案
an answer that took more than 3,000 years of human endeavor.
为了这个答案 人类花了3000多年的努力
We have discovered how the laws of nature,
我们已发现自然法则是如何
acting on the mass and energy of the Universe,
作用于宇宙中的质量与能量
started a process that would eventually produce us,
开启一个最终创造出人类的过程
sitting here on our planet pretty pleased at having worked it all out.
使你我安坐在地球上 对能发现这一切感到心满意足
So,when people ask me if a God created the Universe,
所以当人们问起 是否上帝创造了宇宙
I tell them that the question itself makes no sense.
我都告诉他们 这个问题本身就不合理
Time didn't exist before the Big Bang,
时间 在大爆炸之前根本不存在
so there is no time for God to make the Universe in.
所以没有时间让上帝造出宇宙
It's like asking for directions to the edge of the Earth.
这就像是问地球的尽头在哪里
The Earth is a sphere.
地球是球体
It doesn't have an edge,so looking for it is a futile exercise.
根本没有尽头 所以想去寻找只是徒劳无功
We are each free to believe what we want,
每个人都有自由选择相信什么
and it's my view that the simplest explanation is there is no God.
但我认为最简单的解释是 没有上帝
No one created the Universe, and no one directs our fate.
没有谁创造宇宙 也没有谁掌控我们的命运
This leads me to a profound realization.
这带给我更深刻的领悟
There is probably no heaven and no afterlife,either.
也许没有天堂 也没有来世
We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the Universe.
我们只有这一生能欣赏 宇宙的宏大设计
And for that, I extremely grateful.
为此 我无限感激