‘Catherine! 'said Mr Edgar to his wife as he entered.
“凯瑟琳!”艾加先生一进门便对妻子说道。
‘Do you think it's right to listen to this wicked man's talk? ’
“你觉得听这恶棍说话合适吗?”
‘Have you been listening at the door, Edgar? ’asked Catherine coldly.
“你在门口听着的吗,艾加?”凯瑟琳冷冷地问道。
Heathcliff laughed, which made Mr Edgar even angrier.
希斯克利夫笑了起来,艾加先生火气更大了。
‘You, sir’, he said to Heathcliff, ‘are poisoning our family life.
“你,先生,”他对希斯克利夫说,“在破坏我的家庭生活。
I should never have accepted you as Catherine's friend.
我本来就不应该把你当凯瑟琳的朋友看待。
I must inform you that you will never be allowed to enter this house again, and that if you don't leave within three minutes, you will be thrown out. ’
我必须奉告你决不许你再进这房子,如果你三分钟内不离开,你就会被扔出去。”
‘Well, well! 'replied Heathcliff, looking scornfully at Mr Edgar's small figure.
“好,好!”希斯克利夫回答,满脸讥讽地看着艾加先生瘦小的身躯。
‘So, you're going to throw me out yourself, are you? ’
“这么说,你要亲自把我扔出去喽,是吗?”
My master looked towards the door.
我的主人往门那儿看了一眼。
I realized he wanted to call the servants, as he knew he was not strong enough to fight Heathcliff alone.
我意识到他想叫仆人,因为他明白他自个儿无力与希斯克利夫斗。
But Catherine must have guessed his plan.
但凯瑟琳想必猜出了他的心思。
She hurried to the door and locked it. Mr Edgar looked at her in angry surprise.
她赶到门前,锁上了门。艾加先生又气又惊地盯着她。
‘You must fight him like a gentleman, without anyone to help you! 'she told her husband. ‘That'll teach you to scold me! ’
“你必须像个绅士一样跟他打,别叫人帮忙!”她告诉丈夫。“对你责骂我会是个教训!”
Mr Edgar tried to get hold of the key, but she threw it quickly into the hottest part of the fire.
艾加先生试图去抢钥匙,可她当即把钥匙扔进炉火的中央。
He went very pale, and could not stop his whole body trembling.
他的脸色变得煞白,无法控制全身的颤抖。
‘Oh Edgar! ’cried his wife.‘You've lost the fight already! You aren't a man, you're a mouse! ’
“噢艾加!”他妻子叫道。“你已经输了!你不是个男人,你是只老鼠!”
‘So that, 'said Heathcliff, pointing at MrLEdgar, ‘is the thing you preferred to me, Catherine. Is he crying, or is he going to die of fear? ’
“你就喜欢这么个东西,”希斯克利夫指着艾加先生说,“而不喜欢我,凯瑟琳。他是要哭出来,还是会吓死?”