Another flash of lightning allowed him to see the figure of a woman running towards the rick.
又一次闪电中,他看到一个女人的身影向麦垛跑来。
Was it Bathsheba?
难道是芭丝谢芭吗?
‘Is that you,ma'am?’he called to the darkness.
“是你吗,太太?”他向黑暗中大喊。
‘Who's there?’said Bathsheba's voice.
“谁呀?”是芭丝谢芭的声音。
‘It's Gabriel. I'm on the rick,thatching. ’
“盖伯瑞尔,我在麦垛上盖稻草呢。”
‘Oh Gabriel!I'm so worried about the ricks!
“是你,盖伯瑞尔!我正担心这些草垛、麦垛呢!
Can we save them?The thunder woke me.
有办法吗?雷声把我惊醒了,
I can't find my husband. Is he there?’
我丈夫也找不到。他在这儿吗?”
‘No,he isn't. He's—asleep in the barn. ’
“他没在。他——他在仓房睡着了。”
‘He promised me the ricks would be covered,and he hasn't done it!
“他还答应要把麦垛盖上,可他并没有益!
Can I help you?Let me help!’
我能帮你吗?我来帮你干吧。”
‘You can bring the straw up to me in armfuls,if you aren't afraid to climb the ladder in the dark,’said Gabriel.
“你要不怕在这黑天里爬梯子,就给我往上抱稻草吧。”盖伯瑞尔说。
‘I'll do anything to help!’she said. She started to go up and down the ladder,carrying the straw.
“只要能帮忙,我干什么都可以!”芭丝谢芭喊道。她开始上梯子,爬上爬下地递着稻草。
In the brightness of the lightning,Gabriel saw their two shadows,wildly enlarged,on the hill in front of him.
在闪电的光亮里,盖伯瑞尔看见了他们两个身影夸张地映在他面前的小山上。
Then came the loudest crash so far.
又是一声炸雷。
‘How terrible!’cried Bathsheba,and held on to his arm.
“太可怕了!”芭丝谢芭叫起来,一边拉住了他的胳膊。
The lightning flashed in a wild dance of death,and thunder came from every part of the huge sky.
一道电光闪过,跳着狂烈的死亡之舞,接着雷声从广阔天空的四面八方传来。
Bathsheba and Gabriel could only stare,and tremble at the strange and dangerous beauty of the storm.
这是罕见的暴风雨,很危险,芭丝谢苞和盖伯瑞尔看了,浑身直发抖。
As they watched,a tall tree in front of them seemed to be burning with a white flame.
他们看到面前的一棵大树似乎着了火,闪着白色的火苗。
There was a final,violent crash of thunder,and in the bright light they saw that the tree had been torn in half by the lightning.
接着又是一声巨雷,在耀眼的亮光中,他们看见那棵树被闪电劈成了两半。
‘That was close to us!’said Gabriel. ‘We'd better go down. ’
“这离咱们太近了!”盖伯瑞尔说。“咱们最好下去。”