They climbed down and stood together in the darkness,
他们爬下来,在黑暗中一起站着。
Bathsheba seeming to think only of the storm,Gabriel thinking only of her.
芭丝谢芭似乎只想着风暴,而盖伯瑞尔却只想着她。
At last he said,‘The storm appears to have passed,but the rain will be coming soon.
最后,他说:“风暴像是过去了,不过雨很快就会来的。
I'll go up and finish thatching the ricks. ’
我上去把麦垛盖完吧。”
‘Gabriel,you are kind to me!Oh why aren't the others here?
“盖怕瑞尔,你对我真好!哎呀,他们在哪儿呢?
Don't tell me,I know. They're all drunk in the barn,aren't they?
不说我也知道,都醉倒在仓房里了吧?
It was my husband's fault. Gabriel,I want to tell you something. ’
都怨我丈夫。盖伯瑞尔,我想告诉你。”
The soft flashes of the dying lightning showed her face,very white against the black sky.
闪电将尽,柔和的亮光照亮了她的脸,映衬着墨黑的天空,非常苍白。
‘I care about your good opinion of me,so I want to explain why I went to Bath that night.
“你觉得我好,我十分在意,所以我想对你解释那一晚我去巴斯的原因。
It wasn't to marry Troy,it was to break off my relationship with him.
我并不是去嫁给托伊的,而是想去和他断绝关系。
Perhaps you wonder why I married him then?
可能你纳闷我为什么又嫁 给了他吧?
Well,I suppose I must tell you.
这个,我想我必须告诉你。
It was because he told me he had seen a woman more beautiful than me,
他告诉我他看到一个比我漂亮的女人,
and said that if I wanted him as a husband,I must marry him at once!
如果我想让他做我的丈夫,我就必须立即同他结婚!
I was wild with love and jealousy,so I married him!’Gabriel did not reply.
我爱得发狂,嫉妒得要命,就和他结了婚!”盖伯瑞尔没有说什么。
‘I'll bring some more straw up to you,shall I?’she offered.
“我给你再抱些稻草,好吗?”她提议。