‘You'll promise at Christmas. Well,I'll say no more. ’
“你要在圣诞节作出保证,好吧,那我就不再说什么了。”
As Christmas came nearer,Bathsheba became more anxious,and one day she confessed her difficulty to Gabriel.
随着圣诞节临近,芭丝谢芭更加忧虑起来,于是有一天,她向盖伯瑞尔坦露了她的难处。
‘The saddest reason of all for agreeing to his proposal,’she said,‘is that if I don't,I'm afraid he'll go mad.
“我接受他求婚,最让我伤心的原因就是,”她说,“如果我不接受,那他就有可能发疯。
His feelings are so extreme. I don't say that because I'm vain,
他的感情太过狂热。我这样说并不是因为我自负,
but I believe I hold that man's future in my hands. Oh Gabriel,it's a terrible worry!’
而是因为,这个人的未来掌握在我的手中。盖伯瑞尔,这事可真让人揪心哪!”
‘Then why don't you promise,ma'am?I don't think people would think it wrong.
“那你为什么不答应他呢,太太?我想人们不会觉得这有什么错的。
The only thing that makes it wrong in my view is that you don't love him. ’
我觉得这件事情唯一不合适的一点就是你并不爱他。”
‘That is my punishment,Gabriel,for playing that foolish trick with the valentine on him. ’
“这是对我的惩罚, 盖伯瑞尔,因为我在情人节跟他开了那种愚蠢的玩笑。”
Gabriel had given her a reasonable,sensible answer,as she knew he would,
盖伯瑞尔给了她一个合情合理的回答,她知道也会如此。
but she felt annoyed with his cool advice.
但是,他这种冷静的忠告令她感到恼火。
Not once had he spoken of his love for her,or said that he could wait for her too.
他不只一 次地对她谈及他的爱,还说过他也可以等她。
She would have refused him of course,but at least it would have shown that he still admired her.
当然她也会拒绝他的,不过,至少那样会表明他仍然爱慕她。