‘Let me think!I'll marry nobody else. Oh,I don't know!
“让我想一下!我不会嫁给别的人。唉,我也不知道!
Is Frank really dead?Perhaps I should ask a lawyer!’
弗兰克真的死了吗?我也许应该找个律师问一问!”
‘Say the words,my dear one,and I won't speak about it any more.
“把那句话说一遍,我亲爱的人,以后我就不会再提这事了。
A long engagement,then marriage—Oh Bathsheba!
长长的订婚期,然后再结婚——芭丝谢芭啊!
Promise yourself to me!’he begged wildly,forgetting his cool,businesslike manner.
答应把你给我吧!”他狂热地恳求道,忘却了他那冷静而公事公办的作派。
‘I've loved you so much and for so long!’
“我真爱你,爱了这么久!”
‘Very well,’she said after a pause,‘I'll marry you six years from now if we're both alive and if my husband doesn't return. ’
“那好吧,”她停了一会儿后说道。“如果咱们两人六年以后都还活着,如果我丈夫到时没有回来,我就嫁给你。”
‘Then wear this ring for me. ’Boldwood took from his pocket a diamond engagement ring,and held it out to her.
“那你就把这个戒指戴上,”伯德伍德从衣兜里摸出一个订婚钻戒,举在她的面前。
‘No,no,I can't,I don't want anyone to know!’
“不行,不行,我不能戴,不能让任何人知道这事!”
‘Just wear it tonight,to please me!’Bathsheba could say no more,and weakly let him put it on her finger. He left her.
“就今天晚上戴一戴,只让我高兴一下!”芭丝谢芭不能再说什么,无力地让他给自己戴上了戒指。然后他便走开了。
In a few minutes she was calmer. She put on her cloak and went downstairs. She paused at the foot of the stairs.
过了一会儿,她镇静一点了。她披上斗篷下了楼,先是在楼梯下停了停。
Boldwood was standing near the fire,and he had just noticed that a group of villagers were whispering among themselves.
伯德伍德站在炉边,刚刚注意到一群村民在一旁窃窃私语。
‘What's the matter,men?’he asked cheerfully.
“什么事啊,伙计们?”他兴高采烈地问道。
‘Is anybody engaged or married,born or dead?Tell us the news,Tall. ’
“是不是有人订婚了,要么是结婚了?生孩子了还是有人去世了?给我们讲讲新鲜事吧,托尔。”