I don't wish to treat you as inferior.
我并不想把你当作下人
Yet you'd command me to speak.
但你却命令我跟你说话
You're very hurt by my tone of command?
我命令的口吻伤了你的自尊吗
There are few masters who'd trouble to inquire whether their paid subordinates were hurt by their commands.
很少有主人会去关心自己的言语是否中伤了他花钱雇来的这些仆人
Paid subordinate?
花钱雇来的仆人
I'd forgotten the salary.
我倒忘记了薪酬的事情
Well, on that mercenary ground, will you consent to speak as my equal
那么 从雇佣的角度来说 你是否愿意与我平等的对话
without thinking that the request arises from insolence?
而不是把它当作是傲慢无礼的要求呢
I'd never mistake informality for insolence, sir.
我绝对不会把不拘礼节错当傲慢无理 先生
One I rather like
前者是我所喜欢的
the other nothing freeborn should ever submit to.
而后者是任何自由的人都不应该屈从的
Humbug.
瞎说
Even for salary.
即使是为了赚钱
Most free born things would submit to anything for a salary.
大多数人会为了赚钱而屈从于任何事情的
But I mentally shake hands with you for your answer.
但是在灵魂深处我还是同意你的观点的
Not three in 3,000 schoolgirl governesses would have answered me as you've just done.
三千个女家教中像你这么回答的连三个都不到
Then you've not spent much time in our company, sir.
其实你并不了解我们 先生
I'm the same plain kind of bird as all the rest with my common tale of woe.
我与哪些平凡的女教师一样有个如出一辙的悲惨故事