A nice woman cop came in and asked us 'please,' to sing quieter.
一个很和善的女警察进来说,“麻烦你们唱歌声音小点”
Explained that they couldn't hear to process us.
解释到太吵了他们没法给我们办手续
We quieted, pianissimo 'this little light of mine.'
我们安静了,轻哼着“我的微光”
But impossible to keep it down, crescendo waves, fortissimo.
但是声音不会消失,慢慢变强的音节直到最强音
The door opened, the policeman called a name and took a woman away for booking.
门开了,警察开始叫名字,带走了一个女人去登记
When my turn came I couldn't find my ID
到我的时候,我找不到身份证了
'the big cell for you tonight.'
“今晚这间大的给你”
Tonight, overnight. I will be with criminals, not sisters trained in nonviolence.
今晚,只一晚,我会和犯人们,而不是非暴力示威的姐妹们呆在一起
I asked the cop across the desk from me, one prisoner and one cop per desk,
我问坐在桌边的警察,每桌一个犯人,一名警察
a woman was shackled to her chair with old style steel handcuffs, couldn't be locked up because of illness,
一个女人被用老式的铁手铐,绑在椅子边,因为有病,不能被关押起来
I asked my arresting officer 'please bring my bag of possessions and let's go through it again carefully for my ID.'
我问逮捕我的警察,“麻烦把我的东西给我,让我好好找找身份证”
Slowly he examined each thing.
他慢慢地检查着每件物品
I talked story 'do you know what I'm working on now?
我开始攀谈 "你知道我现在在忙什么吗
I'm writing a book of peace.
我在写一本有关和平的书
Once in old China there were books, reveries about how to end war.
在旧中国,曾经有书,有幻想要结束战争
Those books were burned, their authors tongues cut out.
这些书被烧了,他们的作者的舌头也被剪掉了
My dream is to write such a book for our time.
我的梦想就是为现在写出这样的书
People who read it, I hope, will vow not to use guns, not to use cluster bombs.
人们会读它,会发誓不再用枪支和集束炸弹