"Congratulations on the scholarship.
“祝贺你获得奖学金,
Let me know when you have some free time. We'll go out and celebrate," I said.
有空的时候告诉我一声,我们出去庆祝一下,”我说。
"Listen, Ben, the reason I'm here is that I need some information."
“听着,本,我来这里是因为我需要掌握一些信息。”
"Information? Sure. What do you need?"
“信息?当然可以,你需要什么信息?”
I got up and closed the office door.
我站起来,关上门。
"I need some background information on Dean Maurie," I said.
“我需要一些关于毛里院长的背景信息,”我说。
Ben looked uncomfortable and didn't say anything for a minute.
本看上去很不自在,一分钟没说一句话。
"Why?" he said finally.
“为什么?”他最后说道。
"I can't tell you right now, but it's important," I told him.
“我现在不能告诉你,但这很重要,”我告诉本。
"I'm trying to find out if the dean has any enemies.
“我想知道院长是不是什么仇人。
Has he had problems with anyone lately?"
他最近和谁有过恩怨吗?”
"Well...I feel strange talking about the dean," Ben said.
“嗯……我感觉谈论院长很奇怪。”本说。
"He's my boss and he's helped me a lot."
“他是我的老板,他帮了我很多。”
"Ben, all I can tell you is that I'm trying to help him, not hurt him. I promise you that."
“本,我只能告诉你,我是在帮助他,而不是伤害他,我向你保证。”
"Well, I guess I can tell you what I know," he said.
“好吧,我想我可以告诉你我所知道的,”他说。
"Enemies? I don't know if they are enemies,
“仇人?我不知道他们是不是敌人,
but there are at least two people who have had problems with him lately—personal problems."
但至少有两个人最近和他有过冲突——个人恩怨。”