"You can marry off your sister," Esgred observed, "but not your uncles."
“也许你能嫁掉姐姐,”伊斯格蕊评论,“但还有叔叔呢。”
"My uncles..." Theon's claim took precedence over those of his father's three brothers,
“我的叔叔们……”席恩的继承顺位照理比父亲的三个弟弟优先,
but the woman had touched on a sore point nonetheless.
不过这女人还是逮到了痛处。
In the islands it was scarce unheard of for a strong, ambitious uncle to dispossess a weak nephew of his rights, and usually murder him in the bargain.
在这片群岛,强大而有野心的亲戚霸占侄儿的土地,甚至把小辈谋害掉的例子真可谓数不胜数。
But I am not weak, Theon told himself, and I mean to be stronger yet by the time my father dies.
但我不是弱者,席恩提醒自己,老爸死前我要变得更为强大。
"My uncles pose no threat to me," he declared.
“叔叔们对我没威胁,”他宣称,
"Aeron is drunk on seawater and sanctity. He lives only for his god—"
“伊伦把自己献给了大海和神灵。他活着只为了他的神——”
"His god? Not yours?"
“他的神?难道不是你的?”
"Mine as well. What is dead can never die." He smiled thinly.
“当然是啦。逝者不死么。”他敷衍地笑笑,
"If I make pious noises as required, Damphair will give me no trouble. And my uncle Victarion—"
“只要我记得每天多念这些虔诚的废话,湿发就不会来烦我。而我叔叔维克塔利昂——”
"Lord Captain of the Iron Fleet, and a fearsome warrior.
“他是铁岛舰队的总司令,无畏的战士。
I have heard them sing of him in the alehouses."
我在酒馆里常听人们唱歌颂扬他呢。”
"During my lord father's rebellion, he sailed into Lannisport with my uncle Euron and burned the Lannister fleet where it lay at anchor," Theon recalled.
“当年我父亲起兵,就是他和我另一位叔叔攸伦一同航往兰尼斯港,把兰尼斯特的整只舰队活活焚在了锚地里,”席恩回忆,
"The plan was Euron's, though. Victarion is like some great grey bullock,
“不过,整个计划是攸伦制订的。要我形容的话,维克塔利昂就像那些笨重的灰公牛,
strong and tireless and dutiful, but not like to win any races.
强壮、不知疲倦、忠于职守,但你甭想用他去赢得任何赛跑。