"I little thought ever to have seen it!
我从来没有想到会见到这样的事情!
Some say it was a just judgment on him for keeping his first marriage secret, and wanting to take another wife while he had one living:
有人说那不过是对他瞒了第一次婚姻,妻子活着还想再娶的报应。
but I pity him, for my part."
但拿我来讲,我是怜悯他的。”
"You said he was alive?" I exclaimed.
“你说了他还活着?”我叫道。
"Yes, yes: he is alive; but many think he had better he dead."
“是呀,是呀,他还活着。但很多人认为他还是死了的好。”
"Why? How?" My blood was again running cold.
“为什么?怎么会呢?”我的血又冰冷了。
"Where is he?" I demanded. "Is he in England?"
“他在哪儿?”我问。“在英国吗?”
"Ay -- ay -- he's in England; he can't get out of England, I fancy -- he's a fixture now."
“呵——呵——他是在英国,他没有办法走出英国,我想——现在他是寸步难行了。”
What agony was this!
那是什么病痛呀?
And the man seemed resolved to protract it.
这人似乎决意吞吞吐吐。
"He is stone-blind," he said at last.
“他全瞎了,”他终于说。
"Yes, he is stone-blind, is Mr. Edward."
“是呀,他全瞎了——爱德华先生。”
I had dreaded worse.
我担心更坏的结局,
I had dreaded he was mad.
担心他疯了。
I summoned strength to ask what had caused this calamity.
我鼓足勇气问他造成灾难的原因。
"It was all his own courage, and a body may say, his kindness, in a way, ma'am:
“全是因为他的胆量,你也可以说,因为他的善良,小姐。
he wouldn't leave the house till every one else was out before him.
他要等所有的人在他之前逃出来了才肯离开房子。