When Charlie wants something, nothing stops him.
当查理想要某样东西时,没有什么能阻挡他。
Even when it’s dangerous.
即便危险重重。
And there are days when it’s hard to be Charlie’s sister.
有时候,做查理的妹妹真的很不容易。
Sometimes he can ruin the best playdates.
有时候,他会搞砸最棒的玩耍聚会。
Other times he seems so far away, like when he won’t look at me.
有时候,他又显得那么疏远,比如他不愿看我的时候。
Or speak.
不愿说话。
Or play.
不愿玩耍。
I wish I could crawl inside Charlie’s world to move things around for him and for me.
我真希望能钻进查理的世界,帮他也帮我自己把东西摆放整齐。
I know Charlie wants to be in my world, fitting in, making friends, having fun, and laughing.
我知道查理想进入我的世界,想融入我们,想交朋友,想玩得开心,想一起欢笑。
There are good times with Charlie, too—when Charlie looks right at me and welcomes me with his smile.
和查理在一起也有美好的时光,当他直视着我, 用微笑迎接我时。
He lets me touch his face.
他让我摸他的脸。
He laughs when we lock fingers in a holding-hands game.
当我们玩手指相扣的游戏时他哈哈大笑。
That’s Charlie’s 'I love you,' said in the silly ways we play together.
这就是查理的“我爱你”,通过各种傻傻的游戏表达的“我爱你”。
Charlie is good at so much.
查理擅长很多事。
He knows the names of all the American presidents!
他知道所有美国总统的名字!
He’s a fish in the water.
他在水里就像一条鱼。
He has a special way with animals, especially Harriett.
他对动物很有一套,尤其是对小狗哈里特。
When Harriett and Charlie are together, there’s even more 'I love you,' said in the way only Charlie can, when he gets Harriett to sit, run, or listen.
当哈里特和查理在一起时,他让哈里特坐下、奔跑、听话,他用自己的方式说了更多的“我爱你”。
Charlie’s got a mind that tests things.
查理喜欢琢磨事情。
Shoelaces. Paper clips. Apples. Pinecones.
比如鞋带、回形针、苹果、松果。
And he enjoys sharing.
而且他喜欢分享。
He likes to show off his shell collection, his new sneakers, and how well he plays “Itsy Bitsy Spider” on the piano.
他喜欢炫耀自己收藏的贝壳、他的新运动鞋,还有他用钢琴弹《小蜘蛛》弹得多棒。
Charlie likes to share how sweet he is and how much he cares about other people.
查理喜欢分享他有多贴心,他有多关心别人。
When I fall off my bike or bump my head, Charlie comes running.
每当我从自行车上摔下来,或者撞到头,查理都会跑过来。
He always makes my hurts feel better with the caring that comes from his eyes.
他那关心的眼神总是让我不再那么疼了。
Sometimes, when Charlie can find the words— when they unlock themselves from inside him— he does say “I love you.”
有时候,当查理能找到那些词语,当那些词语从他心底挣脱出来时,他确实会说“我爱你”。
I will always remember the first time I heard him say it.
我会永远记得第一次听他说出这几个字的时候。
So clear and kind. So Charlie.
如此清晰,如此温柔。如此有查理的特点。
I banged my toe hard, and cried.
当时我狠狠撞到了脚趾,疼得哭了出来。
There was my brother, patting my back, saying over and over again, “Don’t cry, Callie, I love you.”
我的哥哥来了,轻轻拍着我的背,一遍又一遍地说“别哭了,卡莉,我爱你。”
It wasn’t just the words that were so strong.
不仅仅是他的话很有力量。
It was the love that Charlie showed me, just by being there.
更是查理让我感受到了爱,他只是站在我身边就能让我感受到。
“I love you, too, Charlie,” came from me fast.
“我也爱你,查理。”我飞快地说道。
Charlie has autism. But autism doesn’t have Charlie.
查理患有自闭症,但自闭症不会夺走查理。
If you ever get to meet my brother, you’ll feel lucky to be his friend.
如果你有机会见到我哥哥,你会觉得能有他这个朋友是一种幸运。
He won’t care if you have the coolest sneakers, or if you are the best at sports.
他不会在乎你有没有最酷的运动鞋,也不在乎你是不是运动能力最出色。
He’ll just like you for who you really are.
他只会喜欢你原本的样子。
That's Charlie.
这就是查理。
I’m blessed to be Charlie’s sister and to share so much.
我很感恩能成为查理的妹妹,能与他分享这么多。
I count my “Charlie Blessings” every day.
我每天都会细数“查理带来的福气”。
At the very top of my “Charlie Blessings” list is the love Charlie and I have for each other.
在“查理带来的福气”清单中,排名第一的是我和查理对彼此的深深的爱。
Said in so many ways.
这份爱用各种方式表达出来。
One of the reasons why I'm so in love with 'My Brother Charlie' is because my daughter came to me with the idea to write this book and we wrote it together.
我很喜爱《我的哥哥查理》的原因之一,是我女儿主动提议一起写这本书,后来我们真的共同完成了这本书。
What a cool thing to be able to write a book with your daughter who was twelve years old when we wrote this book.
能和十二岁的女儿一起写书,真是件很酷的事。
She decided that she wanted to advocate for her twin brother.
她下定决心要为她的双胞胎哥哥发声。
I think Ryan's goal was to get people to come into her twin brother's world,
我认为瑞安的目标是让人们走进她双胞胎哥哥的世界,
and maybe just understand that it takes a little extra effort but makes a big difference if you just try to engage with him.
让人们明白,虽然需要多花一些力气,但只要试着去理解他,就能带来巨大的改变。
Children with autism are special, unique and amazing if you just give them a chance,
自闭症儿童很特别、很独一无二、很让人惊叹,只要你愿意给他们一个机会,
if you just accept who they are with love and patience, and kindness.
只要你用爱、耐心、善意去接纳他们本来的样子。
And so, if you know a family or you know someone who is struggling or who has autism or a family who just got diagnosed,
如果你认识某个家庭或者某个人因为自闭症而苦苦挣扎,或者认识某个患有自闭症的人,或者某个刚刚确诊的家庭,
the number one thing I tell people is never give up hope.
我告诉人们的第一件事就是,永远不要放弃希望。
And never, ever, let anybody tell you what your child will be or what they will never do.
永远永远不要让任何人来断言你的孩子会成为什么样,或者他们永远做不到什么事。
Thank you for watching Storyline Online.
感谢收看《明星为你读绘本》。
Make sure to check out all of our stories.
请一定要观看我们所有的故事。
Keep watching and keep reading.
也请保持观看,保持阅读。