She won't last a month. Why not?
她呆不过一个月。为什么?
Too pretty. Our school needs an old battle-ax, not a bathing beauty. Well, Harry, what's new?
太漂亮了。我们的学校需要个厉害的娘们儿,不需要泳装美人。哦,哈里,有什么 新鲜事吗?
Just the teacher, I guess.
我想就是这位新老师的到来。
You know, Harry, the beach isn't what it used to be—not at all.
我说,哈里,海滩今非昔比,大不如前了。
I don't mind the competition we're getting from the kids.
我倒是不介意咱们跟孩子们竞争。
It's just that the quality of the stuff the sea's washing up isn't good any more.
主要是海水冲上来的东西质量不行了。
I don't know. Clay Larrabee found an oyster this morning.
我看不见得,今天早晨克莱·拉腊比还找到只牡蛎。
He did? Well, one oyster doesn't make a stew, Harry. On my way home I'll drop in and let you see what I find.
是吗?不过一只牡蛎也炖不成一锅汤,哈里。我从海边回家的时候再来,让你看看我找到些什么玩意儿。
OK, Judge. (The Judge goes out. Harry comes to life suddenly and becomes businesslike.)
好吧,评判员。(评判员离去,哈里突然回过神来,想起了他的生意,忙了起来。)
Now, for the haircut! (He removes the towel he had wrapped around the writer's head.)
这下该给你理发了。(他撤去包在作家头上的毛巾。)
Take your time.
不着急。
(He examines the shears, clippers, and combs.)
(他检查剪刀、推子和梳子。)
Let's see now.
好,这就开始了。
(The writer turns and watches. A gasoline station attendant comes to the door.)
(作家转过身向外看去,加油站的一位服务员来到门口。)