Just wanted to say your car's ready now.
我来告诉您车已备好了。
Thanks. (The attendant goes out) Look, I'll tell you what. How much is a haircut?
谢谢。我跟你说,剪一次发多少钱?
The regular price is a dollar. It's too much, though, so I generally take a half or a quarter.
正常的价格是一美元。这太贵了,所以我通常只收半价或是25美分。
I've changed my mind. I don't want a haircut after all, but here's a dollar just the same.
我改变主意了,不剪发了,不过还是要照付给你一美元。
(He hands Harry a dollar, and he himself removes the apron.)
(他交给哈里一美元,自己卸下围裙。)
It won't take a minute.
剪个发只要一会儿工夫。
I know.
我知道。
You don't have to pay me a dollar for a hot towel. My compliments.
你不必为热毛巾付一美元,那是免费的!
That's OK. (He goes to the door.)
别客气。(他向门走去。)
Well, take it easy now.
多保重!
Thanks. (He stands a moment, thinking, then turns.)
谢谢!(他站着想了一会儿,然后转过身。)
Do you mind if I have a look at your oyster? Not at all.
我看看这只牡蛎,可以吗?当然可以。
(The writer goes to the shelf where Harry has placed the oyster, picks it up, looks at it thoughtfully, puts it back without comment,
(作家走到哈里放置牡蛎的架子旁,把它拿了起来,看着它沉思了片刻,没有说什么又把它放回原处;
but instead of leaving the shop he looks around and then sits down on a chair in the corner, and lights a cigarette.)
他没离开理发店,而是环顾了一下四周,然后坐在角落里的一把椅子上,点了一支烟。)
You know, they've got a gadget in New York that anybody can give anybody else a haircut with.
知道吗,在纽约有种玩意儿,用它谁都能给别人理发。
They have?
是吗?
Yeah, there was a full-page ad about it in last Sunday's Times.
是的,上星期日的《纽约时报》为它登了个整版的广告。