'Sit, my children, sit,' she said, and they all climbed awkwardly into armchairs or sank onto pouffes.
“坐,我的孩子,坐。”她说,于是他们都笨拙地爬到扶手椅上或者陷到鼓鼓囊囊的坐垫里去了。
Harry, Ron and Hermione sat themselves around the same round table.
哈利、罗恩和赫敏坐在同一张圆桌旁边。
'Welcome to Divination,' said Professor Trelawney, who had seated herself in a winged armchair in front of the fire.
“欢迎来上占卜课,”特里劳妮教授说,自己坐在壁炉前面一张有翼的扶手椅上,
'My name is Professor Trelawney. You may not have seen me before.
“我是特里劳妮教授,你们以前可能没有见过我。
I find that descending too often into the hustle and bustle of the main school clouds my Inner Eye.'
我发现过于频繁地下临熙攘忙碌的学校生活使我的天目模糊。”
Nobody said anything in answer to this extraordinary pronouncement.
对于这样不寻常的宣言,谁也没有说什么话。
Professor Trelawney delicately rearranged her shawl and continued,
特里劳妮教授细致地重新整理了一下披巾,继续说:
'So you have chosen to study Divination, the most difficult of all magical arts.
“你们选了占卜课,这是所有魔法艺术中最难的课程。
I must warn you at the outset that if you do not have the Sight, there is very little I will be able to teach you.
我必须一开始就警告你们:如果你们不具备‘视域’,那我能教你们的东西就很少了,
Books can take you only so far in this field ...'
在这方面,书本只能带你们走这么远……”
At these words, both Harry and Ron glanced, grinning, at Hermione,
听完这番话,哈利和罗恩都笑着看赫敏,
who looked startled at the news that books wouldn't be much help in this subject.
赫敏听到这门课的书本没有多大用处,显得很吃惊。
'Many witches and wizards, talented though they are in the area of loud bangs and smells and sudden disappearings,
“许多女巫和男巫,尽管他们在发出猛烈的撞击声、气味和突然隐形等方面很有天才,
are yet unable to penetrate the veiled mysteries of the future,'
却不能拨开迷雾看透未来。”
Professor Trelawney went on, her enormous, gleaming eyes moving from face to nervous face.
特里劳妮教授继续说下去,她那巨大发光的眼睛从这张脸转到那张脸上。