I think those day visions were not dark:
我想白天的光线并不很暗,
there was a pleasurable illumination in your eye occasionally, a soft excitement in your aspect,
你的眼睛里时而映现出一种愉悦的光,面容里露出柔和的兴奋,
which told of no bitter, bilious, hypochondriac brooding:
表明这不是一种痛苦、暴躁、疑病症式的沉思。
your look revealed rather the sweet musings of youth
你的目光中透出一种青春的甜蜜思索,
when its spirit follows on willing wings the flight of Hope up and on to an ideal heaven.
心甘情愿的翅膀载着青春的心灵,追逐着希望的踪影,不断登高,飞向理想的天国。
The voice of Mrs. Fairfax, speaking to a servant in the hall, wakened you:
费尔法克斯太太在大厅里同仆人说话的声音把你惊醒了,
and how curiously you smiled to and at yourself, Janet!
而你奇怪地独自笑着,也笑你自己,珍妮特。
There was much sense in your smile: it was very shrewd, and seemed to make light of your own abstraction.
你的微笑意味深长,十分敏锐,也似乎是笑你自己走了神。
It seemed to say -- 'My fine visions are all very well, but I must not forget they are absolutely unreal.
它仿佛说,‘我所看到的美好景象尽管不错,但我决不能忘记这是绝对虚假的。
I have a rosy sky and a green flowery Eden in my brain;
在我的脑海里,有一个玫瑰式的天空,一个红花绿草的伊甸园;
but without, I am perfectly aware, lies at my feet a rough tract to travel,
但在外面,我完全意识到,脚下有一条坎坷的路要走,
and around me gather black tempests to encounter.'
有着渐渐聚拢的黑色风暴要面对。’
You ran downstairs and demanded of Mrs. Fairfax some occupation:
你跑到了楼下,向费尔法克斯太太要些事儿干干,
the weekly house accounts to make up, or something of that sort, I think it was.
我想是清算一周的家庭帐目,或者诸如此类的事情。
I was vexed with you for getting out of my sight.
你跑出了我的视线之外,我对你很生气。”