‘It's lucky we've found out about your noble blood,Tess.
“苔丝,得知你有高贵的血统是件幸运的事。
Do you know there's a very rich lady called Mrs d’Urberville living on the other side of the wood?
你知道在林子那头儿有位非常有钱的德伯太太吗?
She must be our relation.
她准是我们的亲戚。
You must go to her and claim relationship with her,and ask for some help in our trouble.’
你应当上她那儿去,说明和她的亲戚关系。就说我们处境困难,请求她帮帮忙。”
‘I wouldn't like to do that,’said Tess.
“我不愿做这种事,”苔丝说,
‘If there is such a lady,it would be enough to be friendly.
“如果真有这么一位太太,只要她对我们友善,就足够了。
We can't expect help from her.’
我们不能指望从她那儿得到帮助。”
‘You could persuade anybody,my dear.
“你能打动任何人,亲爱的。
Besides,something else might happen.You never know.
而且,也许会有别的什么你意想不到的事儿发生呢。”
And her mother nodded wisely.
她母亲自作聪明地点着头。
‘I'd rather try to get work,’said Tess sadly.
“我宁愿去找工作。”苔丝伤心地说。
‘What do you say,Durbeyfield?’said his wife,turning to him.
“你认为怎样,德北?”妻子转向丈夫,问道。
‘I don't like my children asking for help,’said he proudly.
“我不愿意我的孩子去求别人帮助。”他骄傲地说,
‘I'm the head of the oldest branch of the family and a noble family like ours shouldn't have to ask for help.’
“我是这个家族里最古老的一房的家长,像我们这样高贵的家庭是不应该求助于人的。”
Tess could not accept his reasons for not going.
他的这些不让去的理由让苔丝无法接受。
‘Well,as I killed the horse,mother,I suppose I ought to go.
“好吧,妈,是我害死了马,我想我该去一趟。
But don't start thinking about her finding a husband for me.
不过别指望她会替我找个丈夫。”
‘Who said I had such an idea?’asked Joan innocently.
“谁说我这么想啦?”琼显得很无辜地问道。
‘I know you,mother.But I'll go.’
“我知道你怎么想,妈。不过,我会去的。”