Landon说服了Jamie的父亲,与Jamie共度美好的第一次约会之夜。之后两个人常常相约一起去野外看星星。Landon的母亲并不了解这一次Landon究竟有多认真,于是出言提醒。从Landon的回答中,母亲听出了Landon的变化和决心。只是,在一切都在向最好的方向发展之时,Landon却听到了噩耗。
Mother: Did you just get in? 你刚刚回来?
Landon: Yeah. 是的。
Mother: Thank heavens I didn't know. I'd have been panicked. 感谢上帝我不知道你才回来,要不我都得晕过去。
Landon: Sorry. 对不起。
Mother: Landon, were you with Jamie? Landon, be careful. She's the reverend's daughter. 你和Jamie在一起?Landon,你得小心些。她是牧师的女儿。
Landon: Mom…妈妈……
Mother: Please! 拜托!
Landon: It's different with her. 她不一样。
Mother: It's different with her. 她不一样。
Landon: Yes. 是的。
Mother: It better be different with her. I was doing laundry the other day, and I found this." Examine a moon rock. Go to college. Get into medical school." Honey, these are really beautiful ambitions. There…But you gonna have to work really hard. 最好她是不一样的。那天我洗衣服,看到了这个。“探测一块月球的岩石。去大学。进医学院。”亲爱的,这些都是很美好的愿望。但是你得非常努力去争取。
Landon: I can do that. 我可以做到。
Mother: Yeah, you can. 是的。你可以。
Landon: Mama...Jamie has faith in me. You know? She makes me want to be different. Better. 妈妈,Jamie对我有信心。你知道吗?她让我想改变,想变的更好。
…
(Landon’s ex-girlfriend) I was so drunk, I don't remember anything. 我喝醉了。什么都不记得。
Landon: That's great. Citizen high to citizen low. Are you worried about your college applications? 好极了,上等公民变成了下等公民。你在担心自己的大学申请?
Jamie: No. I'm not applying a college. 不,我不会申请大学。
Landon: I thought you said…我以为你说……
Jamie: No, you assumed. 不,那是你假设的。
Landon: Take a year off, try the Peace Corps thing? 休学一年,去参加和平部队?
Jamie: No. 不是。
Landon: What are you going to do? 那你打算干什么?
Jamie: I'm sick. 我病了。
Landon: I'll take you home, you'll be better to… 那我送你回家,明天你就能好些……
Jamie: No, Landon! I'm sick. I have leukemia. 不,Landon! 我病了。我得了白血病。
Landon: No. You're 18, you're perfect. 不,你才18,你这么完美。
Jamie: No. I found out two years ago. I've stopped responding to treatments. 不,两年前就发现了。我已经停止了治疗。
Landon: So why didn't you tell me? 你怎么不告诉我。
Jamie: The doctor said I should go on and live life normally, as best as I could. I didn't want anybody to be weird around me. 医生说,我应该像平常人那样生活,尽我所能。我不想别人把我当成怪物。
Landon: Including me? 包括我?
Jamie: Especially you! I was getting along with everything fine. I accepted it, and then you happened! I do not need a reason to be angry with God. 特别是你!我已经习惯了自己一个人。我接受它,可是你出现了。我不想因为这个理由对上帝愤怒。
对话中Landon说,Jamie makes me want to be different. Better. 因为另一个人的存在而希望自己有所改变,并且变的更好。生命中有这样一段倾心之恋,岁月长短也许变的不再重要。一起来看看这一段中的几处语言点。
Do laundry. Laundry “待洗的衣物”,do laundry就是最常用的表示“洗衣服”的表达法。其实,在英美等国,很少会用wash my clothes表达洗衣服。
在问及Jamie未来的打算时,Landon很惊讶地得知Jamie没有上大学的打算,于是问一直醉心公益的Jamie是不是要Try the Peace Corps thing. Peace Corps 是一个固定词组,和平部队。这个组织是由美国肯尼迪总统发起的,将受过训练的志愿人士送到发展中国家提供技术服务。
Jamie将实情说出。自己两年前患了白血病,目前已经stop responding to treatment. Respond to, “对……起反应”,也就是治疗已经不见效果。再比如:He failed to respond to the medicine. 他服了药,但未见起色。
了解了真相的Landon在之后的日子里尽自己最大的努力完成Jamie的心愿,亲手为她做了一个精度更高的望远镜。并在一起看星星的夜晚向Jamie求婚。因为Jamie此生最大的心愿就是在爸爸妈妈结婚的小教堂举行自己的婚礼。
好了,本期我们暂时听到这里。下期,我们为这场虽有伤感却从某种程度来说更完美的初恋画个句号吧。我们下期再见。